Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone know how to properly "eject" (the connection) to the external hard drive?

I backed up my computer with the external hard drive, iomega. After it finished backing up, I pulled the "plug" out of the computer and received this message,

"The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off."

There was more to the message but I didn't get to copy it.

I don't think of the external drive as a disc. Does anyone know how to properly "eject" (the connection) to the external hard drive?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 6:05 AM

All drives you connect to any computer have to be ejected properly. If not, you may damage them.

There are different ways of ejecting an external drive. By default, the most common is to show the external drives on Desktop, and then, simply drag their icon from Desktop to the Trash. To show external drives on Desktop, open a Finder window, select Finder menu (on the menu bar) > Preferences > General, and tick "External drives".

If you don't want to show your external drives on Desktop, simply open a Finder window and press the Eject button you will find next to the external drive name in the Finder sidebar, under "Devices". There are more ways, but these are the most common and simple ones

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2013 6:05 AM in response to rmm635

All drives you connect to any computer have to be ejected properly. If not, you may damage them.

There are different ways of ejecting an external drive. By default, the most common is to show the external drives on Desktop, and then, simply drag their icon from Desktop to the Trash. To show external drives on Desktop, open a Finder window, select Finder menu (on the menu bar) > Preferences > General, and tick "External drives".

If you don't want to show your external drives on Desktop, simply open a Finder window and press the Eject button you will find next to the external drive name in the Finder sidebar, under "Devices". There are more ways, but these are the most common and simple ones

Does anyone know how to properly "eject" (the connection) to the external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.