Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring to re-installed OS

Following a complete re-install of Mountain Lion on an erased hard drive I now wish to recover my files. However Mountain Lion now says I need to configure my time capsule. How do I do it please, or am I under the misapprehension that all the back ups for the last three years or so are not actually available? If so what is the use of the time capsule other than as a router?

Thanks

IMac2.7, Mac OS X (10.6), Snow Leopard

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 9:12 AM

During the initial OS X Mountain Lion setup, it gave you the option to restore your files from the Time Capsule, but you skipped that screen and now you find you can't transfer your files.

You can transfer them by using Migration Assistant (in /Applications/Utilities). Simply make sure you are connected to the Time Capsule, open Migration Assistant and follow its steps. You will be able to restore whatever you want from the backup, and Migration Assistant will create a new user with the restored files.

To access to that user, open  > Log Out, and log in the new user. You can remove your old user in System Preferences > Users and Groups, by choosing your old user in the sidebar and selecting the - button. See > http://pondini.org/OSX/MigrateLion.html

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2013 9:12 AM in response to DerekBradley

During the initial OS X Mountain Lion setup, it gave you the option to restore your files from the Time Capsule, but you skipped that screen and now you find you can't transfer your files.

You can transfer them by using Migration Assistant (in /Applications/Utilities). Simply make sure you are connected to the Time Capsule, open Migration Assistant and follow its steps. You will be able to restore whatever you want from the backup, and Migration Assistant will create a new user with the restored files.

To access to that user, open  > Log Out, and log in the new user. You can remove your old user in System Preferences > Users and Groups, by choosing your old user in the sidebar and selecting the - button. See > http://pondini.org/OSX/MigrateLion.html

Aug 18, 2013 9:35 AM in response to mende1

Ok and thanks, but, migration assistant says some backups in use so cant connect to the time capsule. Don't understand this because nothing in open - my time capsule is acting as a router in so far as it is connecting the modem, via the time capsule to the computer. Interestingly and this may or not be relevent but I cannot use my Sonus music system as when I try to play a piece of music the message is cannot connect to the server. So does it sound as if there is a Time Capsule problem. The green light is on and is steady.

Thanks

Aug 23, 2013 1:08 AM in response to mende1

Hi. Sorry but I need to come back to my Time Capsule. All working well thanks but why cant I go back beyond the date I re-installed Mountain Lion. It is just greyed out and there are items I know are backed up but I can't access them. Am I niave to assume that the whole purpose of a Time Capsule was to be able to recover files following a computer problem.

Thanks

Restoring to re-installed OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.