Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing mail attachments - workaround

I can't believe that Apple hasn't fixed this yet, or that someone out there hasn't written a script or app to remove attachments from sent mail. It's apparently not a high priority for Apple. I have found a workaround, however, that works really well for me.

Whenever I send mail with large attachments, I leave them in my sent folder. When I receive emails with attachments, I always remove the attachment before deleting the message. I like to keep my Trash folders handy because I occasionally need to search through my trash for information, but I don't want my Trash folder (or Sent folder) filled with large attachments that I already have somewhere else on my computer. For me, I just need a record that <filename> was sent to <so-and-so> on <date>. I don't want copies of the actual attachments in my Mail folders.

Once a month or so, when I receive a message with an attachment, I'll move it to my Sent folder. Then, I can select it and all of the other sent mail with attachments and remove all of the attachments before moving all of those messages to the Trash. It's not elegant, but it works.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), iPad, iPhone 4, BlackBook, iPod

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 11:15 AM

14 replies

Aug 18, 2013 12:55 PM in response to Lanny

There's numerous threads where users are frustrated with not being able to remove attachments from sent mail.

If I have to send a client a 10 MB contract which I already have on my hard drive, for example, I want to keep a record of the date and time that I sent it, without having to keep a copy of the attachment in my Sent folder, too.

I was only trying to help the other uses having this problem.

Aug 18, 2013 1:08 PM in response to TonyInSF

May I ask, what value is it as a record if doesn't include the attachment? Why wouldn't it just be considered as an email from someone who forgot to attach the attachment?

At best, it only shows that an email was sent with an attachment bearing the same file name. It is no verification of the files actual contents.

Aug 18, 2013 1:10 PM in response to Lanny

Because if the attachment is large, and I already have a copy on my hard drive, I don't need another copy in my Sent folder. Also, my Sent folder would grow to multiple gigabytes.

"[The attachment <filename> has been manually removed]" is preferable to keeping large files as attachments in my Sent folder. At least I have a record of who, what, and when I sent it; and I have the original file on my hard drive already.

Oct 31, 2013 7:35 PM in response to TonyInSF

TonyinSF:

I'm with you on this one . . . doesn't seem like the other fellow actually tried to offer help, just disabuse you of any need for an answer--which isn't the same thing at all. I'm a late adaptor of ML, and perhaps in SL it was possible to do what you are talking about . . . select a number of emails and click "remove attachments" so that there aren't multile copies of files that are already taking up space on the HD . . . and, just having the email is the sign that something was sent . . . no need for having the attachment . . . again.

But, it now appears that in ML 10.8.5 the "remove attachments" command is greyed out, so it doesn't seem like it's possible to do this, as it once was . . . . I'll keep looking for other answers, but, using your description is what I used to be able to do in Mail . . . seems like there has to be some other "work around"??? Is it fixed in Mavericks?

e.e.p.

Dec 22, 2013 6:29 PM in response to meganano

meganano wrote:

Yep. It's perfectly legit to not want to save copies of photos, audio files or contracts that I have on my computer when only a record is needed.

So far, this is the most elegant solution I've found. http://www.betalogue.com/2012/11/13/lionmail-removeattachmentsfix/

Fie on you, Apple!

@meganano:

Fie? They probably won't understand . . . but, thanks for posting that link, seems easy enough to do . . . . I'll check it out in a few days . . . working on getting another usually buggy linux system running on my MBPro . . . it's a better approach than saying "Fie" . . . . : - )

e.e.p.

Dec 23, 2013 1:13 PM in response to TonyInSF

TonyInSF wrote:

Thank you maganano and este. Lanny's reply really upset me and I was only trying to help with an issue that I know is a big problem for many users.

I just created the rule that you recommended and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks, again!!

@TonyinSF:

You are welcome, a forum should be a place where a conversation takes place . . . and, as the OP you can mark replies as providing the answer, "this solved my question" . . . and two of them can be marked "helpful" . . . it's Christmas . . . .

e.e.p. in LA

Removing mail attachments - workaround

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.