Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java 7 Problem

Hello Apple Community,

So, I am the owner of a Minecraft (minecraft.net) Server, and I host it myself on my iMac. For some plugins and a software called BungeeCord for the server, it requires Java 7. So, I went to Java's website and downloaded the Java 7 Update 25 which it specifically says that that version WORKS for Mac OS X. It successfully installed and everything. But, I went to Terminal afterwards and typed java -version to make sure it said 1.7_25. Guess what? It DOESN'T!!! What's wrong? Did I do something wrong? Please help me!! Thank you very much!!!

~43Rockstarr

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 11:29 AM

2 replies

Aug 18, 2013 12:02 PM in response to 43Rockstarr

1) First, install any updates for your Mac .

2) In a Terminal window, type java and then hit Return. You’ll see a message telling you Java isn’t on your Mac and then, weirdly, your Mac will automatically install Java.

3) Head to the Minecraft download page and download the multiplayer server file (mine craft_server.jar). Next create a folder for your Minecraft server to live in (name it something creative like “Minecraft”), move the downloaded file to that folder .

4)

Open TextEdit and type the following:

!/bin/bash cd "$(dirname "$0")" exec jave -Xmx1G -Xms1G -jar minecraft_server.jar

Then save the TextEdit file as start.command in the same folder you saved the Mine- craft server software you downloaded earlier. (You may have to hold down the Option key in order to get the Save As command to appear in TextEdit’s File menu.)

You’ve created a script, and now that script needs to be made executable. To do that, open a Terminal window and type:

chmod a+x

Then drag the start.command file you just created into the Terminal window and hit Return. This makes the file executable. Now, in the folder you created earlier (maybe you called it Minecraft), double-click the start.command file and watch your new Minecraft server run—with lots of errors

5) Quit the Minecraft server (Command-Q works)

6)

The first thing you have to do is called port forwarding. This lets your Minecraft server see the outside world and lets the outside world see your Minecraft server. Just how you do this will vary depending on what kind of router you have, but the general process is as follows: specify ports, specify protocol, specify end point, enable all the changes you made. Here’s the specific process I used on my Cisco router in Knoxville, Tennessee:

1. Open the router’s configuration page.
  2. Head to the Applications and Gaming tab.
  3. Add Minecraft to the Application name column.
  4. Set External Port to 25565.
  5. Set Internal Port to 25565.
  6. Set Protocol to TCP.
  7. Set IP Address to the address of your sever (found in System Preferen- cesNetwork).
  8. Check the box labeled Enabled.

7)

At this point, you’re actually done—you’ve gone through all the steps to host Minecraft on your Mac. All you really need now is the external IP address of your Mac (the address the outside world uses to find your Mac). You can find this information on your router, or you can use any number of websites to discover your external IP address. The easiest way is probably to do a Google search for “external IP address.”

With that information in hand, you’re ready to test out your Minecraft server. Double- click the start.command file you created earlier (the Minecraft folder you created ear- lier will have a lot more files in it now than it did before) and wait for the Minecraft server to load. At this point, a scout was recruited to beta-test the server;

Java 7 Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.