Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fastest way to transfer video and audio from MacBook to TV?

Hello All,

Thanks for visiting my page. I would like to transfer video and audio from my Macbook mid-2010 (specs below), and would like to do so with minimum lag. I m aware Apple TV has a feature which allows me to do that, however considering it is connected via either wi-fi or bluetooth (not sure which) I feel streaming an HD movie or playing an MMO will cause significant lag and/or a distorted picture.

So with that said, what is the best way to transfer video and audio with minimal lag?

Also, as a part II of the question, will the picture be distorted regardless if my TV is 60 inches?

Thanks for the feed back!

Macbook Specs:

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 1:28 PM

The easiest and most reliable option is to connect your Mac to the TV wired. Just buy a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable to connect your MacBook to your TV. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241 Image and sound will appear on the TV automatically.

If the adapter and cable are OK, you won't get the picture distorted. Your Mac will try to use the maximum resolution the GPU allows in order to adapt the picture to your TV. It may not support the maximum resolution of the TV, but picture won't be distorted

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2013 1:28 PM in response to JSBillian

The easiest and most reliable option is to connect your Mac to the TV wired. Just buy a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable to connect your MacBook to your TV. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241 Image and sound will appear on the TV automatically.

If the adapter and cable are OK, you won't get the picture distorted. Your Mac will try to use the maximum resolution the GPU allows in order to adapt the picture to your TV. It may not support the maximum resolution of the TV, but picture won't be distorted

Aug 18, 2013 1:37 PM in response to mende1

Thanks so much for the post! Assuming I would like to also connect an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse to my Macbook as it is connected to the TV via the HDMI cable, would this be a problem or should it work without giving me issues? Will there be lag in moving the cursor or registering each key I press?

Ultimately, I would like to have the option to use my TV as a display while using the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Aug 18, 2013 1:47 PM in response to JSBillian

Probably. The GPU has to handle two displays with a high resolution, so HD movies and games may be too much for it (games will be terrible if they are not in lower settings).

As I think you only want to use your MacBook plugged to the TV, you can set the TV in order to mirror your MacBook's display instead of extending your MacBook's display, making the process to watch movies or to play games easier. Press Command and F1 keys to do this. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5019

Fastest way to transfer video and audio from MacBook to TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.