Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv not responding to remote

My sliver Apple remote that came with my Apple Tv has been working, then all the sudden it stopped working yesterday. I thought it was the battery so I bought a new battery and it kinda worked for about a minute but had to continue to push on the menu button then it worked, got me to the main menu but I could get past that each time I tired to make it work - I have unplugged my Appple TV several times and still can't get the remote to work? Any suggestion on how to get it to work? (this remote is only paired to my Apple TV. Afraid my Apple TV has died on me 😟

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 7:00 AM

Hello tiggergalb,

The following article provides a number of troubleshooting steps that can be quite useful for getting your remote working with your Apple TV again.

If you're using the remote with an Apple TV

When you use the Apple Remote with Apple TV, make sure of the following:

• If you’ve paired Apple TV and an Apple Remote, make sure you’re using the paired remote:
    • If you’re using the paired remote and the Apple TV status light flashes white, the problem isn’t with the remote.
    • If you’re using an unpaired remote, the Apple TV status light flashes amber.
  • If you’ve paired Apple TV and an Apple Remote, and you can’t find the paired remote, set Apple TV to work with any remote by pressing and holding the Menu and Previous/Rewind buttons for 6 seconds.
  • Point the remote directly at Apple TV.
  • Make sure the IR receiver on the front of Apple TV isn’t blocked.
  • Another remote may be paired with Apple TV. You may want to unpair the remote and then pair it again.
  • If Apple TV displays a picture of a remote and a warning (User uploaded file) symbol, you need to replace the battery in the remote. See "How to replace the Apple Remote battery" for steps to replace the battery.

Use a digital camera to test your Apple Remote

A digital camera or DV camera with an LCD display can be used to see if your Apple Remote is emitting a signal. You can use the built-in iSight camera or FaceTime HD camera on your MacBook or iMac computer. Infrared beams are invisible to the human eye, but most digital camera and video cameras use Charged-Coupled Device (CCD) chips or image sensors that are sensitive to infrared light.

To use an iSight or digital camera to test your Apple Remote, follow these steps:

1. Turn on the camera so you see a live picture through the LCD. If you are using an iSight or FaceTime HD camera, turn it on by opening the video preview window of iChat.
  2. Point your Apple Remote toward the lens of the camera.
  3. Press and hold the Menu button on the remote while looking at the LCD or the video preview window.

If you see a faint blinking light coming from the Apple Remote on the LCD or the video preview window, then the remote is working properly.

Troubleshooting the Apple Remote

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1722

Cheers,

Allen

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2013 7:00 AM in response to tiggergalb

Hello tiggergalb,

The following article provides a number of troubleshooting steps that can be quite useful for getting your remote working with your Apple TV again.

If you're using the remote with an Apple TV

When you use the Apple Remote with Apple TV, make sure of the following:

• If you’ve paired Apple TV and an Apple Remote, make sure you’re using the paired remote:
    • If you’re using the paired remote and the Apple TV status light flashes white, the problem isn’t with the remote.
    • If you’re using an unpaired remote, the Apple TV status light flashes amber.
  • If you’ve paired Apple TV and an Apple Remote, and you can’t find the paired remote, set Apple TV to work with any remote by pressing and holding the Menu and Previous/Rewind buttons for 6 seconds.
  • Point the remote directly at Apple TV.
  • Make sure the IR receiver on the front of Apple TV isn’t blocked.
  • Another remote may be paired with Apple TV. You may want to unpair the remote and then pair it again.
  • If Apple TV displays a picture of a remote and a warning (User uploaded file) symbol, you need to replace the battery in the remote. See "How to replace the Apple Remote battery" for steps to replace the battery.

Use a digital camera to test your Apple Remote

A digital camera or DV camera with an LCD display can be used to see if your Apple Remote is emitting a signal. You can use the built-in iSight camera or FaceTime HD camera on your MacBook or iMac computer. Infrared beams are invisible to the human eye, but most digital camera and video cameras use Charged-Coupled Device (CCD) chips or image sensors that are sensitive to infrared light.

To use an iSight or digital camera to test your Apple Remote, follow these steps:

1. Turn on the camera so you see a live picture through the LCD. If you are using an iSight or FaceTime HD camera, turn it on by opening the video preview window of iChat.
  2. Point your Apple Remote toward the lens of the camera.
  3. Press and hold the Menu button on the remote while looking at the LCD or the video preview window.

If you see a faint blinking light coming from the Apple Remote on the LCD or the video preview window, then the remote is working properly.

Troubleshooting the Apple Remote

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1722

Cheers,

Allen

apple tv not responding to remote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.