Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud adds a Last Name to my contact after I send an email - why?

I record all my Contacts in iCloud without last names, for example I will load 'John Smith' as a First Name, and leave the Last Name field blank.

When I send John Smith an email via Mail, the Contact Card will automatically change his name to John Smith Smith (ie adds a Last Name field).

I have one contact loaded as Tom 👿, and after I send him an email, his Contact Card changes to Tom 👿👿 - iCloud adds a 👿 to the Last Name field.

Have been to the Genuis Bar at my local Apple Store and have had no luck.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 4:49 PM

2 replies

Feb 27, 2014 6:12 AM in response to CL1706

It's Apple. Apple has taken to embracing the good old Microsoft paradigm - your OS knows what you need more than you do. Apple won't fix this 'bug' because it's not a bug to them.. it's intentional. If the last name field is left empty, then the field is filled in if possible using info from other fields. I put fist and last name in first name field because I think in terms of first names and I want contacts sorted by first names for my own quick reference. Apple doesn't like my way of thinking, so it has been incessantly trying to correct it for 4 years. Thanks Steve Jobs Jobs.

iCloud adds a Last Name to my contact after I send an email - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.