Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Would you go exchange it, or not?

Hi,

I just bought a Macbook Pro 13" Retina model. I say just, it was 10 days ago...

I found that my build date is late 2012 - being almost late 2013 at purchase, I was a little bit annoyed I got "old stock"?

Question is, do I take it back?

I called Apple, it's in the 14 day return policy, so it's ok - but there's the backup and Boot Camp partition to mess with.

But, on the other hand, would you take a 2012 plate car, for the same price as the 2013? I'm thinking in one year, the Mac will appear to be 2 years old, instead of one?

What do you think I should do? I have four days to decide...

I know there are no physical differences, but it's the resale I think of, when I upgrade it. Personally, I'd buy the 2013 if I saw two the same price...

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 6:17 PM

5 replies

Aug 18, 2013 6:27 PM in response to soldit2u

All 13" MBPr models are Early 2013 and released starting in Feb. 2013. Why would you be surprised that the build year would be 2012. It's a 2013 model, period. If you buy a 2014 model car you might be surprised to find that it was manufactured in late 2012.

I think you are being a bit silly. You can certainly return it, but you might find that the vendor's stock is all the same.

Aug 18, 2013 6:34 PM in response to Kappy

"If you buy a 2014 model car you might be surprised to find that it was manufactured in late 2012."

I'm not sure of your age (in respect to driving etc), but if you know anything of cars, that statement above holds no water.

They sell-off those cars - according to the manufacture date. So no, you wouldn't accidentally buy a brand new car, to find it was made two years previously.

So I'll take your opinion of me being "silly" as your contribution - umm thanks.

Oh, and there has been early 2013 and in a couple of weeks, there will be late 2013 released.

Aug 18, 2013 7:34 PM in response to soldit2u

Kappy is correct of course. 😉

Late 2012 mfg. Macbook Retina Pro is identical to one made yesterday except 8 to 10 months .

Theres a differences between "new old stock" (which is out of date, or contains dated materials / mfg.) .......... and a late 2012 model MBP Retina made yesterday and a MBP Retina made 8 to 10 months ago in which there is NO difference.

If you bought a MBP Retina made yesterday, it still contains monitors made likely up to 8-10 months ago and a logic board just as "old".

Kappy didn't express an opinion on you MBP Retina, he expressed a fact.

A MBP Retina late 2012 model is "made between X date and XX date". The two are identical.

Aug 18, 2013 7:40 PM in response to soldit2u

soldit2u wrote:

Hi,

I just bought a Macbook Pro 13" Retina model. I say just, it was 10 days ago...

I found that my build date is late 2012 - being almost late 2013 at purchase, I was a little bit annoyed I got "old stock"?

Question is, do I take it back? ...

I guess the first question is where did you buy it? If it was from Apple, it's likely the 2013 version. If it was from a different source, you can find in the forums a number of people complaining about being sold old (i.e., 2012) as current (2013). They both have the same Model identifiers and Model numbers but are configured differently. What is the processor speed on yours?

There have been complaints about the displays in the first version but fewer in the current one. And the early rMBP seemed to have difficulties with the USB 3.0 ports but I've found the 2013 ports to be problem free.

Would you go exchange it, or not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.