Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Workable file size for aperture 3 ?

NEed to know how big the library file can be for efficient Aperture use 10, 20, 50, 70g?

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 12:49 AM

I know photographers who have managed libraries which are many hundreds of gigabytes in size, and they are just as responsive as much smaller libraries. Drive speed matters, of course, as does having lots of RAM. I think that 8 GB of RAM should be considered a minimum.

12 replies

Aug 19, 2013 3:36 AM in response to wizzak

NEed to know how big the library file can be for efficient Aperture use 10, 20, 50, 70g?

I had no problems even with an Aperture library with 250000 images.

Why are you asking? Do you have performance problems with Aperture?

The amount of free disk space on the drive with library, as well as the system drive is also important. Keep plenty of free disk spaces on both drives, and don't put the library onto a NAS.

Aug 19, 2013 10:18 AM in response to wizzak

1,000s. 🙂 .

But keep in mind that, even though it is very well designed to work with today's hardware, Aperture is still a hardware hog. Very large scale file operations -- say, relocating 500,000 Originals, or stamping adjustments and metadata to the same number of Images -- can take days, not hours.

Build gradually. Never force-quit. Repair your Library before any upgrade. And this voodoo: let Aperture run unmolested overnight about once a week for very large Libraries.

Aug 19, 2013 10:42 AM in response to Mark Alan Thomas

Yes -- but I make no claims other than

- Aperture does a lot of behind-the-scenes maintenance

- Letting it run has _seemed_ to help in several cases; enough so that I now use this as part of my weekly maintenance.

The reason I make no additional claims is simply that I am not qualified to do so. Database experts have agreed that it makes sense.

Aug 21, 2013 12:17 AM in response to wizzak

To migrate from iPhoto to Aperture the new unified library format will be very useful. Aperture can open iPhoto libraries, if they are iPhoto 9.3 or later, and also merge iPhoto libraries,

see:

Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

and

Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries

So, for a lossless workflow, it will be best tio upgrade your iPhoto to 9.3 or later, if you have still an older iPhoto version.

-- Léonie

Workable file size for aperture 3 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.