Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can type in a chat, but can't read either what I type or what anyone else types back to me. Any suggestions?

I get a blank box. When I type and hit enter (or send), I still have a blank box. People can type back to me, but I get nothing. I have no problems logging on to iChat from either my husband's Mac or my iPad, only having problems on this Mac. Using iChat 4.0.9. Mac OS.X 10.5.8. It's been this way for about a year now, and the Mac store can't seem to be able to solve it.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I've tried downloading AOL Instant Messenger directly (that's the screen name I am using) and it doesn't work. Do I need to uninstall iChat and reload it? How would I get it once I delete it?

I'll take any suggestions.

Thanks much

Sheepish72

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iChat version 4.0.9

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 8:05 PM

1 reply

Aug 19, 2013 2:01 PM in response to Sheepish72

Hi,

If your AIM valid Screen Name happens to be an Apple ID then it is likely that only if it is one Ending in @mac.com will it work in Leopard and iChat 4.

This is because when Apple went to iCloud they also changed the way iChat 6 and later Mesages logs in.

Both these version also contact Apple and this then allows the AIM Servers to "read" the password.

This Dual Login does not happing in earlier versions which means the Apple Servers are not contacted and then the AIM servers are blocked from checking the password.

It also means you cannot use an @me.com or @icloud.com ending name in the AIM for Mac App, the AIM Settings login page or login to AIM express on any Browser on any device.

For the Text not showing try this test change first.

Open iChat.

Go to the View Menu

Select the Style option and change it from Balloons to anything else.

Actually Quit iChat and restart the app.

Does iChat see the text when not using Balloons ?

If so you need to reinstall the whole App. The Balloons Style is actually run from a Plugin but you can only get it by reinstalling the whole app.

See the Users Tips tab at the top of the Discussions list.
EDIT Direct link

Basically tick in your Original Install DIsk.

Select the Option Installs foldder and launch the OptionalInstals.mpkg

Pick out iChat only and Install

Download and Install (over what you have) the COMBO Installer for OS X 10.5.8 (THIS is needed to update iChat to the corerect version of OS X 10.5.8)

User uploaded file
9:58 PM Monday; August 19, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

I can type in a chat, but can't read either what I type or what anyone else types back to me. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.