Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop sharing apps/softwares?

Is there away for a user to delete an app on a specific user without deleting it on another user's account? I want to delete a specific app on one user's account but I do not want to delete it on the rest of the user's I have on my laptop. Please and thank you >.<

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 8:15 PM

7 replies

Aug 18, 2013 10:41 PM in response to jesusmarmol

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Macs come with two Applications folders: /Applications (at the root level of your hard drive) and ~/Applications (in your user's folder). If you save an app in the first one, that app will be avaliable for all users, but if you save an app in the second folder, this application can only be used by that user.

What you want to do is really difficult, because you will have to create a copy of the app in ~/Applications for multiple users, having in mind that not all users have this folder. After doing that, simply remove the copy in /Applications

Aug 19, 2013 6:59 AM in response to jesusmarmol

First, open Finder, select Go menu (on the menu bar) > Go to Folder, and type ~. Do you see an Applications folder? If so, it's easy. If you don't have the folder, you can put the app in any other folder, or create the Applications folder. To do it, press Shift, Command and N keys, and type "Applications", and open this folder

Now, open a new Finder window by pressing Command and N keys. In this window, choose Applications in the sidebar, and copy the app to the window where ~/Applications is opened.

Do the same with the rest of the users. Finally, delete the app in /Applications. Note that this only works for some apps, because there are some apps that can only be stored in /Applications. If you are not sure if yours will work, leave it in /Applications. Nothing will happen if one user doesn't need the app, as you will not be wasting space

Aug 19, 2013 7:25 AM in response to jesusmarmol

Of course not. If you copy the Applications folder, you will move all apps to your user folder and you will damage OS X. After transferring the app you want, you can delete this app from /Applications, but not the whole folder, and don't move all the apps.

Test the app in ~/Applications before deleting it from /Applications. Some apps don't work in any other folder than /Applications

How do I stop sharing apps/softwares?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.