Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

move files

I can no longer move files. I was previously able to press the cmd key when dragging and that moved files...now it just copies. Is this a bug?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 2:16 AM

14 replies

Aug 19, 2013 3:25 AM in response to dt3000

As mentioned here, CMD-dragging will "move" a file rather than copying it. I just confirmed that this does still work in Mountain Lion by CMD-dragging a test file from one volume to another.

(There is no reason to hold down the CMD key when moving a file to a new location on the same volume because all you are really doing in that case is changing the file system pointer to the folder the file is in, not actually moving the file to a new location on the volume. In this case there is no difference between dragging & CMD-dragging -- both do the same thing.)

That said, this only works if you have both read & write permission for the file. That's because the "move" operation actually first copies the file to the new location & then deletes the original. This is done for safety's sake. So if say you are trying to move a file owned by system & you only have read permissions, the original file will not be deleted & you get a copy owned by you (with full read & write permissions) at the target location. This behavior is the same whether or not you hold down the CMD key.

Hope this helps.

Aug 19, 2013 4:13 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

clintonfrombirmingham wrote:

Odd - if I command-drag a file to a new volume, it just creates an alias... just dragging the file copies the file to the other volume...

To create an alias, I have to cmd-option-drag the file to the new volume. Dragging with no keys held down copies it, & cmd-dragging it moves it.

Each operation shows the expected "badge" on the pointer: a curved arrow for the alias, a green + sign in a circle for the copy, & no badge at all for the move. This works for me even if I hover the pointer over the volume's Finder window & try the different keyboard combinations before releasing the mouse button.

Aug 19, 2013 1:19 PM in response to dt3000

Let's reset here

A simple drag of a file within the same partition will always move. dragging a file to a different partition will always copy.

These are the results with various key combinations

Command key while draggingMove dragged item to other volume/location (pointer icon changes while key is held--see this article)
Option key while draggingCopy dragged item (pointer icon changes while key is held--see this article)
Command-Option key combination while draggingMake alias of dragged item (pointer icon changes while key is held--see this article)

Aug 19, 2013 4:39 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

I know it is from Apple, but it is still a little misleading, in part because it doesn't tell users that for some drag operations the pointer icon you see depends on if you are in the source or target window, or that if you don't have write permissions for the dragged item, you get a copy icon whether or not you hold down the command key.

Basically, there are just too many variations to consider to cram them all into a table like that one.

Sep 18, 2013 8:38 AM in response to dt3000

Further to this thread, I just migrated a user onto a MacBookPro with 10.7.5. For some reason, it has the similar problem. When dragging a file (without touchung the CMD key), it is copying not moving. None of our other 10.7.5 Mac's are doing this. I have run Repair Permissions and no change Is there a system setting to return this back to normal or is it a bug?

move files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.