Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AX as remote WDS with 3rd party Router

Hi

I have a third party modem/router of which I would like to expand the wireless network with a new Airport Express

The router uses 802.11g so my understanding is that the only way to extend the network is using WDS

On the router I can enable WDS and scan for available access points. The Airport only shows up if previouslòy configured to create a wireless network, but not if is joined to the router current network, I believe this is expected behaviour but not sure.

If I enable WDS and add the Airport from the router config menu the Airport continues to distribute its own IP addresses (10.1...) while the router addresses are (192.168...) and no Internet available

I am sure I am missing some configuration on the Airport side regarding enabling as a remote WDS base station, I believe I can change the AX IP addresses to match those of the router(192.168...), also I have vague memories of needed NAT config as well... Doeas anyone have instructions on what needs to be configured on the Airport?

Many thanks

Francesco

PM G4 (AGP Graphics) - 1.3Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, HD 120GB 5400rpm - iPod Nano - iPhone, Mac OS X (10.4.11), PB G4 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 100GB HD - Mac OS X 10.5.6

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 2:24 AM

4 replies

Aug 19, 2013 6:18 AM in response to Infinite Loop, 1

WDS was never adopted as an official industry standard, so manufacturers were left to their own as far as the implementation of WDS.

The chances that an AirPort Express would be able to connect to a third party router using WDS settings are extremely small. Even if it might work, you will likely not be able to use any type of wireless security on the network.

Look over Apple's WDS instructions for connecting two Apple devices together to see if there might be a clue in there somewhere that you have overlooked.

Unfortunately, you may not even be able to "see" the WDS settings in AirPort Utility, since the instructions state than 802.11n devices like the new AirPort Express should not be used with WDS. Good luck!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4262

Aug 20, 2013 7:12 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hey Bob

Thanks for the insight

In Airport Utility you can set the Airport as a remote WDS. Need to use Manual Setup, in Wireless tab you need to hold the option key while clicking on the Wireless Mode drop down menu, the wds option will then appear, otherwise is hidden

I have not set security, don't really need it, but as far as I remeber WAP should work

Havent tested whether remote speakers (the airport appears in the available airplay devices on my iPhone) nor the usb disk functionality yet

I guess I was lucky!

Aug 20, 2013 7:23 AM in response to Francesco Saverio Liguori

Do you understand that the speed on your network is now much less than it was before?

WDS only operates at "g" wireless speeds....54 Mbps. It cannot run at faster "n" wireless speeds.

When you add the WDS remote, this reduces the bandwidth on the entire network by half down to 27 Mbps.

Not sure if that is what you want.....but if you are happy, then all is well.

Hopefully, you have no other neighbors near you, as running an "open" network with no wireless security is not usually something that most users would want to do. Kind of like not only leaving the door to your house unlocked when you leave, but wide open as well. But, your decision on that.

AX as remote WDS with 3rd party Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.