Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie sound won't work on a PC, but works perfectly on mac.

The movie that I created and exported in iMovie won't play sound on a PC, but works perfectly on my mac. I've tried changing the file type from m4v to avi but nothing changes. How do I get the sound of my movie to play on a PC?

iMovie '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 2:48 AM

6 replies

Aug 20, 2013 12:04 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

On the bar at the top of iMovie I clicked 'Share' then scrolled down to the optionn saying 'Export Movie...' It then asked me what size I wanted my movie to be and where I wanted to put it. I chose the large size, which supposedly can be played on all devices except an iPod. iMovie then exported my movie to 'Movies' in Finder. Once it was completely downloaded I closed iMovie and went to Finder. I opened up the movie and it worked perfectly (I could both see and hear the movie). Using a USB I copied my movie from Finder to the USB and ejected it once it had finished copying. That's when I put the USB into my PC to see whether it would play. The visual worked fine, but I couldn't hear any sound. I tried changing the file type but that didn't fix it.

Aug 20, 2013 12:21 AM in response to Tahlia S.

Tahlia S. wrote:

… when I put the USB into my PC to see whether it would play. The visual worked fine, but I couldn't hear any sound. …

Thanks for your excellent, very precise description!

Your workflow creates a .mov file - which, out-of-the-box a Windows based machine can NOT play (no audio, no video). It needs the free Quicktime-for-Windows plug-in.

soooo, that you DO see a picture tells me, there has to be something installed on that PC 😁

My first assumption would be, this installment is somehow kaputt.

I would suggest, as a first step:

• if optional, try your usb-stick on some other PC - does it work? audio? video?

• re-install the free Quicktime-for-Windows on your PC, http://support.apple.com/kb/DL837

another option is, following advice, I give in this user tipp

How to create a video for playback with Windows/XBox/PS3/… etc?

Aug 20, 2013 11:44 PM in response to Tahlia S.

Tahlia S. wrote:

I have already tried the USB on multiple PCs but they all have the same result…

… but then is the culprit indeed on your Mac, iMovie, the Project.....!

(due to our diff. timezones, I speed things up by making a bundle of suggestions):

• What sort of audio is in your Project? sound from camera?

• or do you apply music from your iTunes lib?

• or any other source?

Create a few 'test projects', just a minute:

• just original audio from your camera

• with music from iTunes

• with a diiferent, NOT purchased music, such as from iMovies own list of 'jingles'

test all 3 resulting videos on your PC .....

iMovie sound won't work on a PC, but works perfectly on mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.