Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions from a Newbie - Please Help by Responding

Okay, I just received a new iPod (30GB, black) as a gift and have a few questions.

I apologize in advance for any repeat in them (with respect to being answered in other posts), but I am confused and have a headache from trying to read all of the links provided in responses, etc. I just want to understand procedures is all. I know the questions may seem trivial, but I am a complete newbie at this iPod thing.

(1.) Could someone please explain the entire authorization/deauthorization details to me with respect to iTunes and various computers.

Specifically, if I download a song from the iTunes store on my desktop, how do I get that same file on my laptop and then authorize my laptop to play the song? From what I gathered in reading, I have to authorize my laptop to play the iTunes song downloaded on my desktop, but I do not understand how I transfer the song to the other computer's iTune software?

Do I burn files to a CD, disk, etc. and then transfer via that method and then authorize the songs in iTunes, so that the songs are in both places (desktop and laptop)? Could someone give me step-by-step instructions on this, or link to somewhere that does?

(2.) Could I have different songs on my desktop versus laptop, connect my iPod to one or the other, and send the songs to the iPod? From what I read, I believe the answer to this is yes (I believe I am permitted to connect my iPod to up to 5 different computers to load music from iTunes?).

Should I do this, do I need to authorize anything or just connect my iPod to the computer?

Thank you in advance for any response(s) offered.

Again, I apologize for reposting these questions, but I am having a hard time pulling everything together into a succinct answer I can follow.

Sincerely,

wkkunkle

Windows XP Pro

Posted on Jun 16, 2006 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2006 7:52 PM

Welcome to Apple Discussions!

1) There are many options. Here are some of them...
iTunes: How to copy music between authorized computers

Once the file is on your laptop, just play it in iTunes. iTunes will ask you for your iTunes Music Store account information and then authorize your computer.

2) This is what you have to do...
Using iPod with multiple computers

Authorizing is really only for the music store and purchased songs, not for iPods and which computers they connect to.

btabz
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2006 7:52 PM in response to wkkunkle

Welcome to Apple Discussions!

1) There are many options. Here are some of them...
iTunes: How to copy music between authorized computers

Once the file is on your laptop, just play it in iTunes. iTunes will ask you for your iTunes Music Store account information and then authorize your computer.

2) This is what you have to do...
Using iPod with multiple computers

Authorizing is really only for the music store and purchased songs, not for iPods and which computers they connect to.

btabz

Questions from a Newbie - Please Help by Responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.