Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup disk is full

My MBA wont show the finder

Says the disk is full

If I need to delete some apps or files

How do I do that to free disk space ?

MacBook Air (11-INCH, MID 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 8:29 AM

3 replies

Aug 19, 2013 9:56 AM in response to ojsebi

Restart then press and hold the shift key as soon as the chime sounds (or the screen lights up). You can release it when the Apple logo appears. This will attempt to start the computer in Safe mode and it should get you to the Finder. In Safe mode temporary files are erased and logs trimmed so it should free up enough space to let you start. Then, as Neil suggests start moving files you don't absolutely need to an external drive.

Note: iTunes files can't just be copied to an external drive if you want to keep your playcount information. You'll need to open iTunes Preferences, select Advanced, and then tell iTunes what drive and folder to use on the external drive. Then close preferences and from the File menu select Library and Organize LIbrary. This will move your files from the computer to the external drive so that all your meta data is preserved. From then on, make sure you connect the drive before launching iTunes.

The iPhoto library can be moved by dragging it. Then launch iPhoto while holding the Option key to change the library location.

Startup disk is full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.