Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Iphone 5 won't turn on or connect to my computer or charge.

My iphone 5 must have died last night. I had IOS 7 beta 4.

Things Ive trired:

1. Restore Mode

2. Recovery Mode

3. A different cable

4. A different computer

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 9:15 AM

15 replies

Sep 22, 2013 8:41 AM in response to Vp Cyrrah

Vp Cyrrah wrote:

That's what happened to my phone just now and I have the update that was made public a few days ago. I don't know what else to do.

The first thing you should do is to start your own thread as this one was about beta software. Use a properly descriptive subject line. Explain exactly what you were trying to do, what happened when you tried, what error messages you got and what troubleshooting steps you've already taken (saying "everything" is not useful information).

Best of luck.

Apr 18, 2014 7:45 AM in response to Rebecca2323

I think I just fixed my phone that had the same issue. So my iPhone 5 suddenly went into, what seemed like a reboot loop, it would be stuck at the apple logo screen and no hard reset trick would do it. I am running iOS 7.1, which is the latest release (and was before the whole thing crapped out on me). As I said, the phone was stuck on the Apple logo when i tried to hold power and home buttons. Most of the time it wouldn't even power on when i held the buttons and i could hear a high-frequency buzzing noise coming from the Lightning (charging) port area. It was pretty much a brick, I tried everything I could find on the forums, this discussion board, everything. Since i was out of the one year warranty (and had no apple care), I couldn't get a replacement device so I kept playing with the home+power button combinations and something seemed to have done the trick.

I held power+home buttons and when the apple logo appeared, i plugged in the cable to my MacBook (while still holding the buttons) and the "Connect to iTunes" screen appeared. iTunes on my Macbook also recognized the phone and prompted me if I wanted to restore and update the device. I hit yes (or something, don't remember any more) and iTunes started downloading the latest firmware. It took ~25ish mins on my wi-fi, during which time my iphone went dark again, no signs of life. After the firmware was downloaded, i tried again and this time I went a step further - it extracted the firmware, but at the beginning of firmware install process my phone now got stuck at the apple logo with the little spinning wheel at the bottom of the screen. It was stuck on that screen regardless whether it was plugged in or not. iTunes was showing "Waiting for iPhone" and it would eventually time out with 40005 error after a while.

Again, I restarted it with power+home button but now, to my surprise, whenever it would come back up, it would show me the "connect to iTunes" screen instead of just apple logo. So I tried again, and now it got stuck at the firmware install progress bar. Same message from iTunes. It seemed as if with every attempt i was getting stuck one step further along the way. At that point, it was getting late, so I left it plugged into the wall over night and I just tried again this morning. And voila ! Started off the same, holding power+home buttons (the only way i could power up the phone, power button alone wouldn't work), it brought me to "connect to iTunes" screen. I plugged in the cable, hit a couple of buttons in iTunes and firmware started installing. It went through without any issues at all, it installed the latest iOS 7.1, i was able to set it up as a new device...as if nothing ever happened.

I tried power the phone off, brought it back on with no issues...the only problem was that itunes set it up as a new device. Knowing what pain in the back it is to set up all the preferences, download the apps and set app preferences but also wanting to test my phone and make sure it doesn't go bisserk again, I erased all content and settings, unplugged the phone and set it up from scratch - this time i restored from an iCloud backup. All that went just fine, no issues at all. End result - I have my phone back, backup restored, apps are still downloading as I'm typing this...now i just have to go back to AT&T to have my phone number moved BACK to my sim card (I had it moved to my old iPhone 4 last night, since i was dead in the water without a phone and sim cards are different between 4 and 5).

I seriously thought the phone is bricked and I could toss it away, so I just thought I'd share my experience and try to recall all the details in case someone else runs into this extremely frustrating problem.

One negative remark about the genious bar - they brushed me off in 2 mins since I wasn't covered under manufacturer's warranty any more, when I asked if he can diagnose the issue, the guy behind the counter told me that "you know, it's an electronic device, those sometimes just stop working. If you are to get a replacement device, that is $260[something], would you like to do that now?". It just felt like no one gave a **** about the problem I had.

Good luck if you have the same issue !

My Iphone 5 won't turn on or connect to my computer or charge.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.