Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best headset with mic to use with macbook pro

Hello,

I have a headset with a mic that I am using through Skype and other applications to speak to customers.

The mic is connected through a stereo mini plug, going through the headphone input jack on my MacBook Pro.

The mic audio is no longer registering through the audio input, and I can see (hear through recordings) that the only audio coming through when I where that headset is being picked up by the laptop built in mic.

I've done some reseach on line and have a few questions:

1) Is there a known issue with mic audio coming through the headphone input?

2) Is there a known issue with mic audio coming through the headphone input specifically only when using Mountain Lion?

3) Is it better audio quality to have a headset with mic connected via a USB input rather than the stereo mini input.

4) Are there any recommendations for mic/headset combos out there or a brand that makes good product compatible with the MacBook Pro?

Thank you,

Suzanne

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 11:31 AM

12 replies

Aug 19, 2013 11:42 AM in response to suzgems

Good heatset mics very nearly dont exist.

If you want quality audio at all, mid-level grade USB mic is the best route.

And the use of headphones seperately.

Best mic sub-200$ is the Zoom H2n

Macbook Air uses a headset jack if you want a headset mic/headphone setup.

the downside being most mics on headsets are ubiquitously bad quality.

The PRO mics for laptops/ computers, most of them plug in via USB, not the headset jack.

SONY ICD-SX712 is a great choice (best "cheap" mic Ive found)

Jan 28, 2014 6:48 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

I tried using my iPhone earplugs/headset with the headset jack on my MacBook Pro retina 13-inch and the in and out sound quality was fine. I just found them to be uncomfortable for a long Skype call, and was thinking of buying an actual headset instead.

It seems like a waste of a USB port to buy a USB headset if there is a perfectly good headset jack on my MBP. Is there any reason to?

doug

Jan 28, 2016 3:14 PM in response to laughlinher

laughlinher wrote:

I just purchased the same head set as J_10w mentioned, the Plantronics Audio 478 to use on my Macbook Pro. I cannot get it to work. It is showing up in the sound preferences, but nothing happens when I change the input/output to the usb. Any help?

Rather than posting a help question in a 2 year old unrelated thread you should start your own thread. This will ensure your your question gets more visibility and focus.

best headset with mic to use with macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.