13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2013 6:31 PM by stpedler
stpedler Level 1 Level 1

I just got a new computer and the mail program must be newer.  When I compose and email it indents the first line of the text and I do not want this.  I didn't see anything in preferences to change this.

Does anyone know?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)
Solved by axsdata on Aug 27, 2013 6:57 PM Solved

Yes, backspacing deletes the indent.  But it is annoying to have to do this.  I have discovered how it happens. My normal mode of composing is to enter the recipent, tab tab to the subject, type in the subject, then tab to the message area.  I think it is this last tab that is putting in the indent.  If I click the mosue in the message window it does not indent.  Also, if I hestitate for just about a sceond before tabbing out of the subject field, the indent is not inserted.  I suspect this is a slight coding error where the event handler does not clear a buffer and enters the tab twice.  Go figure.

• BDAqua Level 10 Level 10

Hi, I was unable to replicate this in 10.8.x, are you getting to the Compose window from some other App or link?

• Zirotti Level 1 Level 1

Agreed. This is driving me bonkers.

• Joe Bailey Level 6 Level 6

The only way I can replicate what you are describing on any of the Macs areound here is to use the tab key to step down through the address fields to the text field. It is easy to hit an extra tab which indents the first line of the text.

• stpedler Level 1 Level 1

Sorry I am so slow.  I got directly to mail and click compose

I wonder if I was hitting it the tab twice.  After reading your post I sent three emails and paid attention and they did not indent.  I will play with it a little more and see.

Actually, what I was doing, was after entering the contact in the To: field, I would hit tab 4 times, and the blinking cursor takes about 1 second to show up, so I would hit tab again, causing the indent. Just use caution and only hit tab 4 times or just wait for the blinker to show.

It's a bit silly, but no other application or form that you tab through, has a delay in showing the blink cursor.

Thanks Joe.

• axsdata Level 1 Level 1

I just bought a MacBook Pro and I find the same problem.  When composing an email the program indents the first line. 

This is probably the wrong place to bring this up, but I have been forced to be a WIndows user for many years in my work.  I have had a lot of my Mac owning buddies tell me I should get a Mac now I am retired.  They say it is far superior to Windows.  Well, I'm not seeing it so far.  I know all new things take getting used to, but some of the stuff is just weird.  Such as the "Save As" command disappearing from Mountain Lion.  Apparently Apple is trying to take everyone down the IOS road.  Well, I have an iPad and I love it.  But I bought the MacBook so I can get some serious work done.  Only to find Apple playing social engineer.

So I'd be happy if the email client didn't indent stuff for me, thanks all the same.

Hmmm, try backspaceing.deleting that tab or spces & save as a draft, does that work?

Are you using tab to go to the body of the email after entering the To:? If so, make sure to only hit tab 3 or 4 times.

• axsdata Level 1 Level 1

Yes, backspacing deletes the indent.  But it is annoying to have to do this.  I have discovered how it happens. My normal mode of composing is to enter the recipent, tab tab to the subject, type in the subject, then tab to the message area.  I think it is this last tab that is putting in the indent.  If I click the mosue in the message window it does not indent.  Also, if I hestitate for just about a sceond before tabbing out of the subject field, the indent is not inserted.  I suspect this is a slight coding error where the event handler does not clear a buffer and enters the tab twice.  Go figure.

Good work, thanks for the report!

I thought the computer was haunted because I couldn't figure out why sometimes it did not indent the text in the body of the email.  I just tried it a few times.  When I went really fast I got the ident.  If I go slow it doesn't indent.

Very good investigave work.  Thanksk