Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail- text is automatically indented - don't want

I just got a new computer and the mail program must be newer. When I compose and email it indents the first line of the text and I do not want this. I didn't see anything in preferences to change this.

Does anyone know?😝

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 12:54 PM

13 replies

Aug 27, 2013 6:19 PM in response to stpedler

Actually, what I was doing, was after entering the contact in the To: field, I would hit tab 4 times, and the blinking cursor takes about 1 second to show up, so I would hit tab again, causing the indent. Just use caution and only hit tab 4 times or just wait for the blinker to show.

It's a bit silly, but no other application or form that you tab through, has a delay in showing the blink cursor.

Aug 27, 2013 6:27 PM in response to stpedler

I just bought a MacBook Pro and I find the same problem. When composing an email the program indents the first line.

This is probably the wrong place to bring this up, but I have been forced to be a WIndows user for many years in my work. I have had a lot of my Mac owning buddies tell me I should get a Mac now I am retired. They say it is far superior to Windows. Well, I'm not seeing it so far. I know all new things take getting used to, but some of the stuff is just weird. Such as the "Save As" command disappearing from Mountain Lion. Apparently Apple is trying to take everyone down the IOS road. Well, I have an iPad and I love it. But I bought the MacBook so I can get some serious work done. Only to find Apple playing social engineer.

So I'd be happy if the email client didn't indent stuff for me, thanks all the same.

Aug 27, 2013 6:57 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes, backspacing deletes the indent. But it is annoying to have to do this. I have discovered how it happens. My normal mode of composing is to enter the recipent, tab tab to the subject, type in the subject, then tab to the message area. I think it is this last tab that is putting in the indent. If I click the mosue in the message window it does not indent. Also, if I hestitate for just about a sceond before tabbing out of the subject field, the indent is not inserted. I suspect this is a slight coding error where the event handler does not clear a buffer and enters the tab twice. Go figure.

Mail- text is automatically indented - don't want

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.