Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Tall AP Extreme + Time Machine

I have recently setup a new tall AP extreme with a 1 TB external HD for use with Time Machine. I have susccessfully backed up a 2012 MB Air using the setup.

My 2007 17" MB Pro is not able to use the same setup. It starts to prepare to backup for the first time and is able to write a sparsebundle file, but then fails. It gives this error "The backup disk image “/Volumes/backup-1/17in.sparsebundle” could not be created (error 17)." Sometimes it says error 60 with everthing else the same. Despite this, using the finder the file has been written to the external HD connected to the AP E and is 15.1 in size.

Another box also pops ups saying the disk cannot be initialized and you have the option to initialize, ignore, or eject. Selecting initialize causes Disk Utility to open, but the HD connected to the AP E is not visible in the left hand column with the other drives.

The two laptops are running the same version of OS X 10.8.4 and all software and firmware is up to date.

I have done my best to troubleshoot using Pondini's site (http://pondini.org/TM/Airport.html), but to no avail. I was also unable to find a relevant topic in the discussions using search. Apologies if this has been adressed elsewhere.

Let me know if other information is important.

~rhz

Airport Extreme-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 11:00 AM

6 replies

Aug 19, 2013 11:17 AM in response to rzelov

Several suggestions, though they are likely to be obvious:

1. Confirm the Extreme is running the the latest available firmware. I realize you wrote you're using the latest firmware but it was released less than a week ago.
  2. Connect the external disk drive directly to a Mac, and run Disk Utility. Repair the disk and report any errors it finds. The disk itself could just be faulty.
  3. Despite repeated requests for clarification, conflicting guidance still exists regarding Time Machine's ability to reliably use an external disk connected to an AirPort Extreme.

Aug 19, 2013 11:41 AM in response to rzelov

A bit more to add regarding point 3 that John made above.......I am one of those folks making repeated requests.

The Setup Guide indicates that you can connect a drive to the AirPort Extreme and perform Time Machine backups.....which were not supported at all on earlier versions of the AirPort Extreme.

Yet....a recent June 11, 2013 Apple Support Document....published after the AirPort Extreme had been introduced about a week earlier....states the following:

Time Machine is not supported with USB hard drives that are connected to an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme device.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2038

Well, we know they are not supported on an AirPort Express since the firmware will not even allow a hard drive at the USB port on the device.

I asked Apple Support about the "new" AirPort Extreme a few weeks ago....spoke to two different people.....and got two different conflicting answers, including one that mentioned that new Setup Guides were being printed up....so no real help there.

Someone from Apple was supposed to call me back a week ago with an answer, but the call has not yet come.

I will advise if I get an answer....not that it will really solve anything here....but maybe things will become a bit more clear moving forward.

Aug 19, 2013 11:58 AM in response to rzelov

I just ran the software update for the MB Pro again and it says there are no updates available. For reference the AP Utility is using 6.3 and the firmware is version 7.7.1.

I have repaired the disk and even reformatted it twice at this point.

As it seems the jury is still out on whether this will even work would it be easier to just take return the AP E and upgrade to a TC? From what I've read I can still use the external HD with TC and have less issues, yes?

Aug 19, 2013 12:22 PM in response to rzelov

Hmm... the current AirPort Utility version is 6.3.1: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1664

Download it directly from that page.

The Mac App Store appears to follow its own schedule regarding update notifications. You can force it to check for updates by selecting the Updates pane, then selecting the Store menu > Reload Page.

... would it be easier to just take return the AP E and upgrade to a TC?

Easier, yes, and guaranteed to work... while we patiently await an answer from Apple regarding Time Machine and the new Extreme 😢

Oct 3, 2013 2:13 AM in response to rzelov

I had the same problem and managed to setup the Extreme with my iPhone ios 7.0.2. My MacBook Pro showed all the same errors you report but Airport Utility on a new MacBook Air worked without a hitch. Used the Air to then setup the Time Machine and extend the network.

Seems to be some incompatability with Airport Utiltity 6.3.1 and MBP.

Oct 3, 2013 3:02 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob

You seem to be the man to go to on Airport issues. I today installed a new iMac 27in and a new tall Airport Extreme, I was quickly able to set up a wireless network from my gigabit broadband modem. I wish to extend the network using a new Airport Express but the AE refuses to see the AX.

Whilst setting up I noticed that the option under the wireless tab to make the network extendable is no longer there so I am at as loss to understand where I go from here.

I went through the routine outlined in one of your previous posts of switching the various devices off and then on in the correct order but to no avail.

Just a few days ago I had it set up perfectly with all the old devices, Mac, AE and AX so I am a little disappointed right now, I need the extra coverage from the AX to reach the Apple TV in the living room.

Any help most welcome.

New Tall AP Extreme + Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.