8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2013 2:09 PM by daikambu65
daikambu65 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

The List View shows all the images in an Album/Project, but I want to add one new column to the data that's already there: specifically File Type. I want to know which photos are RAW and so on.

I know I can find that the Metadata tab, but only for one image at a time. And I know I could always click on the magnifying glass and do a text search for .NEF. But the List View is such an approachable spreadsheet that I prefer to work from it.

How do I pop in an additional category?

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), running an iMac
  • Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,385 points)

Using the Metadata Overlay for List View.

I recommend setting up "List View - Expanded" to include every column available.  This gives you the fullest spreadsheet-like representation you can get in Aperture.

• daikambu65 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Tried it, but file type doesn't appear. Is there no way to customize  the columns shown?

For instance, there are a whole bunch of categories which might relate to a professional photographer, but which waste an enourmous amount of screen space. I'd like to delete those so to speed up viewing those items which are useful.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,695 points)

You can display only the columns you want by unchecking them in View->Metadata Display->Customize. Select list view (either basic or expanded) and uncheck the items you do not want displayed.

As for the file type I'm afraid the best you can do is select filename which will include the extension and sort on that. That should give you all the NEF files in a group as long as you sort on file name.

Due to my short involvement using AP, I am not sure what you mean by "select the filenename... and sort on that". I know to located one image using '.nef' as a sort criteria. I don't know to use the filename to sort for other items.

Is there a "find similar" checkbox in the search criteria?

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,695 points)

Sorry I mispoke. It only worked when I tried it here because of the name of the files. 

What you could do is  create a smart album that holds all your raw files. As it is a smart album it will always contain all the raw files in your library anytime you select it. then once you have that displayed you can switch to list view and only the raw files will be displayed.

daikambu65 wrote:

Due to my short involvement using AP, I am not sure what you mean by "select the filenename... and sort on that". I know to located one image using '.nef' as a sort criteria. I don't know to use the filename to sort for other items.

Is there a "find similar" checkbox in the search criteria?

Better than using a text string, use the Filter HUD Rule "File Type".  Available selections should include "Raw", "JPG", "TIFF", "Video", "Audio", and "Other".  Add Rules to the Filter HUD by clicking the Action Menu (the gear icon).

daikambu65 wrote:

Tried it, but file type doesn't appear. Is there no way to customize  the columns shown?

For instance, there are a whole bunch of categories which might relate to a professional photographer, but which waste an enourmous amount of screen space. I'd like to delete those so to speed up viewing those items which are useful.

I recommend setting up your reduced set as the Metadata Overly "List View - Basic".  (There are two Metadata Overlays for each of "Browser, Viewer, and List View".)  That will give you one spreadsheet-like view that is customized to your needs, and one that includes everything.

Toggle your current Metadata Overlay via "View➞Metadata Display➞ ... ".  Note the available keyboard shortcuts (they are listed on the menu).

The filter setup worked great. As did setting up a Smart Folder. And I am a rabid fan of keyboard shortcuts. My wall is being papered with print outs of them.  Now I've got to learn the simple matter of naming a particular filter. I did in once, but the procedure escapes me.

Thanks