You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not receiving imessenger when switching 3g on

when i am in the middle of an imessenger conversation and my phone is on 3g, then i go into the settings and switch 3g off, there is little delay of 2 minutes till imessenger receives again.

however, when i am on 2g in the middle of imessenger conversation, and i go into settings and switch on 3g, exit messeges and lock the phone and wait for up to 7 minutes, the phone doesn't receive the remaining imessenger conversation untill i unlock the phone and go into message.

i have iphone 4 running ios 6.3.1

why is that?

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 2:50 PM

6 replies

Aug 19, 2013 4:44 PM in response to mira_ishak

Your workflow sounds a bit bonkers if you turn off 3G while in the middle of sending a message.

Switching between 2G/3G requires the phone to change radio types. Which means it has to disconnect and reconnect to the different network.

All communications stop during this process.

The reconnection/reinitialization of iMessage is automatic as I have turned off 3G while riding the train and I'd recieve iMessage on 2G at various stations.

If your iMessage is not reinitializing, turn it off and then back on again.

Aug 20, 2013 1:47 AM in response to chattphotos

hi,

i tried to turn it off and on again, i even tried to reset network settings, and it still does teh same. sometimes it pic up on its own, but with a delay. i receive teh message about 3 minutes later, but most times, it doesn't receive until i unlock the phone and open the messages.

the thing is that i performed the same test test with someone else who has an iphone 4S and is with me in the same place using the same network operator and it doesn't have this delay.

sould it be the difference in phone models? or sould it be related to my sim card itself? or is there somehing wrong with my phone?

on another note, if i receive a normal sms it a call while i am waiting to recive teh imessage, the imessage arrive at the same time without me having to unlock and go into the messages. which makes me feel that something has to happen to trigger the network to pick up, otherwise, it takes time till it arrives, or doesn't arrive till i open the messages

Aug 20, 2013 5:32 AM in response to chattphotos

i just tried with Wifi and i don't have this problem, whether i switch between a network and wifi or i whether i turn off data completly and switch wifi on and off.

i guess it is my network profile at the carrier or something, i am jsut surprised that it didnt' happen with the person i tested with although he used the same carrier and we were at teh same palce. any possible explaination for this?

not receiving imessenger when switching 3g on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.