Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to AppleTV without internet?

I'm looking into buying an Apple TV for the wireless connection to my iPhone 4S to stream videos, games, etc.

But now I'm curious about all the downloaded videos I have on iTunes library that I would like to have at home.

Here's the kicker- no internet at home, only at work. So I usually download during the day, sync my phone and watch when I get home. But of course, I run out of room to keep everything I want even with 160GB iPhone (mostly music).

So here's the question: Is there a way to move purchased movies from my computer at work to my Apple TV at home AND be able to do all the fun stuff like wirelessly play games on big screen from iPhone?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 12:41 PM

6 replies

Aug 19, 2013 2:54 PM in response to Divineinc

AppleTV has no storage.

Unfortunately current models need internet to play protected iTunes content as internet authorisation of playback is needed.

If you have a computer at home you could transfer your downloads from the work machine to the home computer iTunes library. You could then use Home Sharing for AppleTV to access the computer iTunes library. You would then need a local network connection between AppleTV and computer plus internet access for AppleTV.

Potentially if your iPhone has internet you might be able to enable a wifi hotspot (or share internet via USB) for the computer, and either allow AppleTV to connect to iPhone too via wifi or share the computer internet (from iphone) over ethernet to AppleTV. This should work in theory and provided playback is via AppleTV Computers icon the media should just play opver the LAN not the internet, but with iPhone internet used to very briefly authorise the playback.

While it should work I can't guarantee it, and there has also been a post where someone used their iPhone internet allowance quickly using Home Sharing even though such dats should be local not traversing the internet.

In all honesty, I would be wary without a router and decent internet.

AC

Aug 19, 2013 3:45 PM in response to diesel vdub

Really? Apple TV is a device- not a verb?! wow.

I phrased my headline to get the point across quickly.

Yeah, I'm aware there is no such thing as a 160GB iPhone, that was a brain fart thinking about too many things at once. Still no reason to write a response that makes you look like a total d!ck. Maybe next time try "I've never heard of a 160GB iPhone. Are you sure it's not a 64GB?"

Beyond that, I appreciate the short and to the point answer.

Aug 19, 2013 3:49 PM in response to Divineinc

Thanks Alley_Cat

That's the info I was looking for. I wasn't sure if there was a way to "load" the ATV at work and then bring home to connect to the TV or not.
I'm reading that the 2nd and 3rd gen versions have no documentated memory but did I read the 1st gen version did?

But now that I'm thinking about it, that version wouldn't let me play games from the phone onto the "big screen", either?

I guess I'm looking for too much from a 100 dollar gizmo. (No internet at home ***** sometimes).

Aug 19, 2013 4:15 PM in response to Alley_Cat

You may not need internet to Airplay games on AppleTV2/3 - I've never actually tried but you do need a LAN - potentially one you could use the iPhone to create.

The internal hard drive was a great feature of AppleTV1 - however even 160GB can be limiting as your library grows unless you want computer on all the time to stream additional content (yes I do that). They dropped the drive in favour of a smaller, cheaper less power hungry device hoping to get better market penetration.

It's a real shame they never allowed AppleTV 1/2/3 to use an external drive as a media library without internet connection - it just doesn't fit with Apple's way of doing things.

AC

How to AppleTV without internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.