Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset to factory settings

Hi, I had a MacBook Air (2011) which came with Snow Leopard pre installed. I then upgraded to Lion and Mountain Lion. Having upgraded to another MacBook, I decided to give this one to my Wife, particularly for her many photos of the dogs. I followed the online advice and successfully restored to factory settings.

However...

During start up, the Macbook options were limited to 'Install Mountain Lion', which would only load with my Apple ID and not my Wife's. I understand she needs to buy her own on her ID, however, I just do not have that option. Further, my Wife cannot download from the App Store, because the Air OS does not recognise her.

Does anyone know how I can reset this back to Snow Leopard, since I have no OS disk?

Many Thanks

MacBook Air, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 1:25 PM

According to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3910, you need to reinstall using the flash drive that shipped with the mahcine. Step one should be to erase the HD before installing. That should put it into factory specs and allow her to purchase ML from the MAS using her AppleID.

3 replies

Reset to factory settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.