Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question about External Hard drive after Windows 7 installed

Hello everyone,

I recently installed Windows 7 on my Mac. I only had just enough space to spare to insall the OS (120gb SSD, so I really couldn't spare anymore) I'm going to have to repartition to give myself about 5 more gb's so I can install Windows' updates but I'm not worried about that for now.

My big question is, can I use an external drive for everything else? is there a way to order all downloads and program installs to the external? like browsers, Steam and Steam games, things like that I finally got Windows installed and working now this is the last step and I'll officially have an awesome set up 😀

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

OS X Mountain Lion, 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333MHz DDR3, 128 SSD

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 9:58 PM

If you want to add more space to the Windows partition, you can use Paragon Camptune, so you don't have to erase the Boot Camp volume and install it again > http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/

GhenWare275 wrote:

My big question is, can I use an external drive for everything else? is there a way to order all downloads and program installs to the external? like browsers, Steam and Steam games, things like that I finally got Windows installed and working now this is the last step and I'll officially have an awesome set up 😀

Of course you can put your data onto an external drive, but you may not be able to do it with applications, as most of them are installed in the Windows volume automatically and can't be changed

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2013 9:58 PM in response to GhenWare275

If you want to add more space to the Windows partition, you can use Paragon Camptune, so you don't have to erase the Boot Camp volume and install it again > http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/

GhenWare275 wrote:

Of course you can put your data onto an external drive, but you may not be able to do it with applications, as most of them are installed in the Windows volume automatically and can't be changed

Aug 19, 2013 10:38 PM in response to GhenWare275

GhenWare275 wrote:

Here's another question then, if I delete a lot of applications from my Mac can I just go back to an older date on my Time Machine backup and they'll be back?

Of course. To restore files from a Time Machine backup, you can use the Time Machine app (in /Applications) to restore apps from a backup, always that you didn't use an uninstaller to remove all the files of the app. In this case, the app may not work after restoring it from a backup

Question about External Hard drive after Windows 7 installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.