Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN and airport express

I'm having troubles with a Dell Laptop using VPN to connect to a work environment using my Airport Express as the wireless router. My kid's laptop connects via wireless to the Airport Express. It shows a steady 300 Mbps connection. The Dell shows that 300 Mbps but will drop in speed down various amounts but sometimes to as low as 165 Mbps every so often according to the windows information. My mac and my kid's macbook connect pretty well but we aren't running VPN so we aren't doing a sensitive test. I'm running system 10.8.4 on the iMac. The airport express is a couple of months old.

The problem is the VPN will drop every so often, usually every few minutes, on that work computer. Thinking it was the Airport express, I switched back to the Verizon wireless router, and it shows a fairly steady 65 Mbps, whereas the kid's computer shows 130 Mbps. I did not have any VPN drops for over a few hours.

So is the Airport express not able to support VPN, or is it doing something I need to set up differently?

Airport Express-OTHER

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 7:48 PM

2 replies

Aug 20, 2013 5:35 AM in response to JohnGB3

VPN in the Express which is running as router does require passthrough to work properly.. this may not be happening.. can you establish the vpn from a mac even just to test.. as the Mac has NAT-PMP which will open ports properly whereas the Dell will use upnp and of course the Apple will not respond to PC protocols.

Why not run both routers.. plug in the verizon wireless router and use that for the dell and bridge the express and plug that into the verizon.. that should give you high speed and better routing for the Dell at least.

Jan 30, 2014 12:57 PM in response to JohnGB3

I have the exact same problem - Dell PC connecting to work via VPN, and the connection drops constantly. The Express is configured as an access point - not as a router. Moving to a different location in the house which connects to either the router or a different access point works fine - no drops, only have problems when attempting to connect through the Express. Since the above answer did not address the OP's actual question, I'll ask again. Is there any config change needed on the Express to allow VPN traffic to pass through successfully?

VPN and airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.