Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipad keeps asking me for my old Apple ID password when I changed my Apple ID

When I bought my macbook I changed my existing Apple ID to my new email address - but now I cannot send emails or update anything on my ipad because it keeps asking me for the password to the old ID. Because that ID no longer exists under that email, there is no password that it will accept and the password can't be reset.

Is there any way to solve this?

I am signed in to iTunes on all my devices with my new account, but I can't seem to sign in with my Apple ID so I can do things like send mail.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 7:10 PM

what makes you know it is asking for your old id?

11 replies

Oct 15, 2013 4:18 AM in response to ellorie

Mine won't let me delete my account. 😟

My Apple ID included my name and our company's domain, so to make things like calendar invites a bit more anonymous as they fly around the web, a while back I went to https://appleid.apple.com and changed my Apple ID to correspond to a more anonymous email address.

While on https://appleid.apple.com I registered and verified the original email address as an Alternate Email Addresses.

It seemed like it was hard or impossible to change some things, like my iPhone 5, to use the new Apple ID with iCloud, because it only allows me to enter a password, not change the account's email address.

In general it seemed like everything still worked, though, until the recent update to iOS 7.

In iOS 7 > settings > iCloud, it's asking me to "Sign in to iCloud" and to "Enter the Apple ID password for "[my old Apple ID email address]." But when I do enter the password, it doesn't accept it and simply tells me to again to "Sign in to iCloud..." and to "Enter the Apple ID password..."

I thought perhaps it was confusing my old ID w/ an old password, but neither old or new passwords work.

After doing research in the Apple Support Communities, I found some saying that I'd just have to go to the bottom of the iCloud screen and it the "Delete Account" button. Frustrated, I did. But whether I next selected "Keep on My iPhone" or "Delete from My iPhone" the next thing is says is "Password Required" and "Enter the Apple ID password for "[my old Apple ID email address]."

Since that's the very thing that isn't possible for me (always giving the error "Your APple ID or password is incorrect") I:

went to https://iforgot.apple.com and entered my old Apple ID (which, again, is verified still in my Apple ID account as an Alternate Email Address)

clicked "next"

selected "Email authentication: To access your information, we will send an email to the address(es) on file for you."

clicked "next"

and go this message, "Email has been sent."

However... it never sent the message to that email account. So I did it again multiple times. Then I went and checked spam filters. Then I looked at email logs on the server... Nope... it is not sending the message.

In desperation I decided to just wipe the phone clean and start afresh through iTunes, where I clicked "Restore iPhone..." When I did a dialogue box popped up that said, "Find my iPhone must be turned off before [iPhone 5's name] can be restored. Go to iCloud Settings on your iPhone and turn off Find My iPhone before restoring your iPhone."

On the phone in settings > iCloud, there is a "Terms and Conditions" blue link that I "Agreed" to, which gives me access in iCloud to turn off Find My iPhone, but as soon as I do, the Apple ID password for that old email address is demanded, again... and of course I don't have it...

In researching I read that perhaps another alias could be added to my https://www.icloud.com > email > preferences > accounts, but as it turns out the alias can't be my old Apple ID. It has to be an alias that include @icloud.com in the address.

What can I possibly do, now, please?

Dec 26, 2013 8:51 PM in response to iThunk

I think I figured it out (worked for me after searching for about four hours). I had changed my apple ID and my iPad was still logged in under the old ID (on iCloud). Nothing I could do would allow me to log out, erase, rest, etc. to get rid of the old ID. I went to appleid.apple.com and changed my new ID back to the old ID (there was a dialog box next to the ID field that said I couldn't use an old ID, but I just tabbed out and saved). I then went to my iPad>iCloud and logged in with my old ID and password. It let me in, I turned off "Find my iPad" and logged out of my old ID on iCloud. Went back to appleid.apple.com and changed back to my new ID. Back to the iPad and logged in with my new ID and BAM, all set. Of course you have to go to your email and confirm your ID at each step, but this seems to have taken care of my issue with an old ID being displayed in Settings>iCloud and not being able to log out. HTH.

My ipad keeps asking me for my old Apple ID password when I changed my Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.