Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has mail changed so that Apple Mail is deciding to make all new email accounts IMAP?

I am unable to create a POP mail account on my computer or my iPhone today. I have 8 other email pop accounts with the same server. Trying today to replicate the same steps with a ninth email account, APPLE Mail is deciding that it is IMAP, and will NOT let me revise the "account type".

Does anyone know if this is a system-wide change effecting new email accounts within the past few days?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), iTunes 10.0.2

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 6:44 PM

3 replies

Aug 19, 2013 7:39 PM in response to deb from sd

Not sure who your email providers are, but generally it will default to the kind of mail that the mail provider supports. If you're adding the accounts in Mail (not the recommended way), hold down the Option key before going to the 2nd screen and you'll see that the button changes to allow you to override the default setup.

You should be adding the Mail accounts by using System Preferences', Internet Accounts.

Has mail changed so that Apple Mail is deciding to make all new email accounts IMAP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.