Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to modify System Preferences dialogue box text.

I know that to change any dialogue box for the finder the path is Devices (name of your device) > (drive name) > System > Library > CoreServices > Finder.app > Contents > Resources > English.lproj. If you open that file with Text Wrangler you can modify any finder message to whatever you want it to be, my question is how can you do the same thing but for the System Prefrences application? I don't know what path to follow for that. Thank you for any possible assistance!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 10:27 PM

The path is Applications > System Preferences.app > Contents > Resources > English.lproj. It's the same as with Finder, but System Preferences is stored in Applications folder.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?

7 replies

Aug 19, 2013 10:56 PM in response to mende1

I'm specifically trying to modify the dialogue box that appears when you want to modify (add or delete) user accounts in System Prefrences "System Preferences is trying to unlock Users & Groups preferences. Type your password to allow this." However I can't seem to find it in either the Finder or System Preferences English.lproj files. Where else might I look? Or do you think I just missed it?

Aug 19, 2013 10:59 PM in response to 下げ髪

That's a message created by OS X, not an app, so you may have problems finding it. To be honest, I don't know where that message could be stored, and I don't think you should modify it, as it would be stored in a system folder. If you are going to do it, first make a copy of the file you are going to modify on a different folder

How to modify System Preferences dialogue box text.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.