Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with SuperDrive after SMC Firmware Update 1.7

After recently updating my 17" MacBook Pro (late 2011 model) with the recommended SMC Firmware Update 1.7, my internal SuperDrive has trouble accepting discs.

After inserting a disk, it spins several times as it tries to recognize it, then spits it out. After trying repeatedly and ensuring the DVD disk was clean and readable, I found a workaround but would like to have the issue solved properly.

My workaround entails launching Disk Utility. Even though it no longer sees the SuperDrive as an available drive, it sees a drive called "Untitled". By highlighting it, then inserting the disk, Disk Utility eventually sees the SuperDrive again and mounts the disk.

Like I say, this annoying issue only occurred after upfating the SMC FirmWare and I would like to have it resolved properly. At this stage, I'm tempted to use my Time Machine backup to restore to my previous state, though I'm not sure how this is done with firmware.

Any ideas or solutions, anyone?

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 9:29 PM

2 replies

Problems with SuperDrive after SMC Firmware Update 1.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.