Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rename Main Account & Computer + Change Language

I just reinstalled OS 10.3 on an iBook G4 for an intended user. However, after having installed everything and set up user accounts, the intended user changed. Since it took many hours to find and install everything, I don't want to reinstall the whole thing from scratch. I do, however, want to change the user name for the main account and the computer name, as well as the base language.

I found a thread on this forum that tells how to reset the admin password without the install CD. Another site mentions the same method but notes that you should not name the admin user account the same as the old one, as this will delete it. So my question: Does this method create a new main account and allow you to rename the computer for network purposes? Or is it just the same as creating a further admin account by just logging in as admin and creating a new user account? I suspect it won't change the base language. Even when an individual account is set to another language (German), the main language (Spanish) tends to be the one in which software is automatically installed.

Would there be another method to allow me to do the above? Thanks for any info.

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 12:19 AM

6 replies

Aug 21, 2013 11:58 PM in response to a brody

There's the step "rm ../.AppleSetupDone", which allows you to redo setup. I understood from another site that when going through that setup, you have to be careful not to name your new account the same as the old admin account, or it would replace that and data would be lost. I wouldn't mind deleting it, as long as the software common to all accounts remains. All the software is fresh from install CDs and updates.

a brody, thanks for the link to the shortname change info. Before I try that, do you (or anyone else) know any more about the main language? I.e. at how deep of a level is this set?

Also wondering a bit more about "rm ../.AppleSetupDone". Could I use this line by itself to go through setup again (with or without changing the shortname in the way you pointed me to)?

Thank you.

Aug 24, 2013 9:01 AM in response to Schionatulander

Well, many third party utilities are able to supplement the System Preferences. Also on 3+ channel audio systems the Audio Midi Setup Utility in the Applications -> Utilities folder helps with setting up your audio more than the System Preferences can. Disk Utility manages disk mounting, formatting, ejecting, repair permissions and verify disk. There may be other settings I can't think off the top of my head. I'm surprised that article doesn't mention the International and Keyboard system preferences which have some control over your languages. I don't have a 10.3 system readily in front of me to give you directions on how to set it up. You might want if you are still running 10.3 to find an old copy of Panther the Missing Manual by David Pogue to get all the nitty gritty of all the settings you might likely want to use.

Aug 25, 2013 9:55 AM in response to a brody

I do know about the International and Keyboard System Prefs, but they don't affect everything. They only affect (and apparently not even completely?) that particular user/account. Sorry I wasn't clear in my last question. I meant, as far as language is concerned, is the login window the only thing that's not controlled by the int'l/keyboard sys prefs? I think I've run across something else but can't recall what.

Aug 28, 2013 2:56 AM in response to a brody

Used "sudo languagesetup" without taking the time to see that it's for 10.4 and higher, but it worked on 10.3.9 for the login screen.

As for changing the shortname, the link says there are other methods for advanced users & gives the easier/safer method. Are any of the advanced methods detailed anywhere? Looking for something faster because there is practically no user data to be lost. Thanks.

Rename Main Account & Computer + Change Language

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.