Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15 inch Wi-Fi Problems

I have a MacBook Pro 15 inch late 2011 (2GHz i7 with 8GB RAM) running 10.7.5. During a meeting the Wireless Network dropped out.

I've scoured the Internet and reset P-RAM, deleted keychains, deleted all Wi-Fi and started again, repaired permissions, verified and repaired hard drive and any combination of these. The only thing that consistently gets it working again is by shutting down and resetting P-RAM – this gets it back for around 10 minutes then it goes. Same for all Wi-Fi anywhere I go. Help anyone please?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 1:58 AM

3 replies

Aug 22, 2013 10:01 AM in response to SteveRush

Hi SteveRush!

You should try creating a new location in your network settings. More information on this procedure can be found right here:

Using network locations (Mac OS X v10.6 and later)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5289

Making new locations

Instead of just using the "Automatic" location, you can also create different "locations" in which different ports are active. A "Mobile" location could make only your AirPort connection active, and a "Desk" location could make only your Ethernet port active.

Follow these steps to make a new location:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple () menu.
  2. Choose Network from the View menu.
  3. Choose Edit Locations... from the Location menu.
  4. Click the + icon to add a new location.
  5. Type a name for your new location, such as Mobile, then click Done. The name of your new location appears in the Location menu. Any changes you make to the Network pane now apply to this location. The previous location ("Automatic" by default) will remain as you left it.
  6. If you want to disable a specific network port for this location, highlight the port, then click the Action Gear. Then, select "Make Service Inactive." Repeat this step for each port you want to disable in the new location.
  7. Select the port(s) you want to configure in the new location, and set them up as desired. Each port is set up as its own Internet or network connection. If you need any help setting up for the Internet, see these articles:
  8. When finished, click Apply Now.
  9. Close the System Preferences window.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

-Braden

Sep 3, 2013 8:53 AM in response to braden85

Thanks for your time Braden.

Unfortunately I no longer have the option for Wi-Fi for 90% of the time so cannot set up a new location using Wi-Fi. It comes and goes as it wants to so I'll try your option when it is live.

My solution has been to buy an external Wi-Fi adaptor – it works brilliantly but looks shockingly horrible and is a pain to have to carry around another piece of equipment.

Regards

STEVE

MacBook Pro 15 inch Wi-Fi Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.