You should try creating a new location in your network settings. More information on this procedure can be found right here:
Making new locations
Instead of just using the "Automatic" location, you can also create different "locations" in which different ports are active. A "Mobile" location could make only your AirPort connection active, and a "Desk" location could make only your Ethernet port active.
Follow these steps to make a new location:
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple () menu.
- Choose Network from the View menu.
- Choose Edit Locations... from the Location menu.
- Click the + icon to add a new location.
- Type a name for your new location, such as Mobile, then click Done. The name of your new location appears in the Location menu. Any changes you make to the Network pane now apply to this location. The previous location ("Automatic" by default) will remain as you left it.
- If you want to disable a specific network port for this location, highlight the port, then click the Action Gear. Then, select "Make Service Inactive." Repeat this step for each port you want to disable in the new location.
- Select the port(s) you want to configure in the new location, and set them up as desired. Each port is set up as its own Internet or network connection. If you need any help setting up for the Internet, see these articles:
- When finished, click Apply Now.
- Close the System Preferences window.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!
Thanks for your time Braden.
Unfortunately I no longer have the option for Wi-Fi for 90% of the time so cannot set up a new location using Wi-Fi. It comes and goes as it wants to so I'll try your option when it is live.
My solution has been to buy an external Wi-Fi adaptor – it works brilliantly but looks shockingly horrible and is a pain to have to carry around another piece of equipment.
Hi again Steve,
Thank you for using the Apple Support Community. Due to the nature of your issue or question you may find more information by using another one of Apple's support resources - https://expresslane.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action.