Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture regards masters as previews

Hi,

I recently moved from iPhoto to Aperture. I opened my existing iPhoto library, which holds 25k pictures, in Aperture (so I did not use the File -> Import option, I simply opened the existing iPhote library).

Out of the 25k photos, roughly 500 of them have a badge with showing a yellow warning sign (I filtered on "File Status" is "Missing").

After some investigation through the Finder, it turns out that for these 500 photos, Aperture is missing the master files. So there is no photo in the My iPhoto Library / Masters but there is a photo in My iPhoto Library / Previews. However, these photos are actually masters, not previews, judging from the pixel size (3008 x 2000, which is the same as the other photos I took with my Nikon D70 at that time).

It looks to me that somehow Aperture regards these photos not as masters, but as previews. I can't find a pattern which of the 500 images are affected by this, it seems to have happened to some random pictures in my library.

Is there an easy way to let Aperture recognise these photos as masters again? I guess one option could be to copy each image to e.g. the desktop and import them again. How do I ensure Aperture links these newly imported photos to the photos regarded as previews?

Would the problem be resolved if I _import_ my iPhoto library into Aperture rather than just open it? What are the differences/benefits of importing an iPhoto library compared to opening an library in iPhoto?

Thanks,

Ivo

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 5:26 AM

3 replies

Aug 20, 2013 11:25 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hi Frank,

Aperture 3.4.5

iPhoto 9.4.3

Yes, I could try to import the complete library as a new Aperture library but I guess this would create a library file at least equal in size of the existing library, i.e. 75 Gb. Are there any benefits of doing so? Will all the projects, keywords and albums be maintained? Will it make browsing the library faster?

I have tried to re-import one of the problematic photos to see if Aperture would automatically recognise and regard it as a master - no success.

Best regards,

Ivo

Aperture regards masters as previews

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.