Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice on taking my MacBook Pro to Guinea (Africa)

Hi all!

I have a dilemma in mind! I need to figure it out before the 4th. of September.

Im gonna be working in Guinea for 1 year (maybe more) and I dont wanna leave my macbook pro behind... however, im scared the conditions will damage the computer. The situation is as follows: I will be living in the middle of the savanah forest with tents, maybe a hut roof... I will have secutrity boxes where I can keep the laptop with a lot of Silica when Im not using it... However, when Im using it it will be exposed to up to 95% humidity (not all year but mostly), the temperatures are not so extreme, maybe can get to 35 degrees in the dry season (but is highlands so its rare)... however im most worried about the humidity. I dont know if for example having it dry on silica and then exposing it to the normal humidity (when im gonna use it) will condense water inside it... or?

I know there are some posts already on this, but they do not talk about extreme conditions such as this...

What do you think? you think is too risky or it can make it? and is there any precautions i could take to make the situation better while Im using it in such environment? like a fan or ... I dont know... something....

I would greatly appreciate advice...

Thanks all!

Alejandra🙂

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 5:47 AM

1 reply

Aug 20, 2013 6:17 AM in response to Ale.aponte

Very few forum participants have done what you are planning to do. I have had MBPs in hot and humid climates but that has been during the summer months only. They have not suffered any ill affects.

I approve of using a fan and silica gel. Note that the silica gel must be dried out to be effective. If it is saturated with moisture it will not be of any value.

Your greatest enemy is make certain the rain water does not permeate it. Liquids and MBPs do not mix very well.

Though not authoritative, I believe careful use and care would allow the MBP to survive the African trip.

Ciao.

Advice on taking my MacBook Pro to Guinea (Africa)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.