Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail Perpetual Hang

I have been an Apple user since I was old enough to walk, and have always been able to figure out most of my problems. But, unfortunately I have been stumped by a problem I have been having with Mac Mail.

Mac Mail Consistantly freezes for me when I open the program on start up, after force quitting mutiple times, and after waking up from sleep. If I choose to leave it on for 20 min or so while I work on other things it eventually unfreezes and works great. I figured that eventually Apple would fix this bug, but, unfortunately, I have had this problem for close to a year.

I would be almost eternally grateful to someone who has an idea for how I can get past this issue. I have 7 e-mail accounts and get thousands of e-mails a month. I suspect it may be just that I have way to much in the program, but it seems a bit counter intuitive to think that the progam doesn't work for scaled business.

Mac Mail-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 11:39 AM

Do a backup.

Take notes of all account information or take screen shots. You may need to set the accounts up again. Quit Mail.

Copy the line below.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Select Go/Go To Folder from the Finder menu bar. Paste the line into the window. You won’t see it.

Move the folder com.apple.mail to your desktop. You must move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Relaunch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, recreate any required Mail settings and import any emails you want to save from the folder on the desktop. If the problem remains, return the folder to where you got it replacing the one that is there.

Information learned from Linc Davis.

If you prefer to make your user library permanently visible, use the Terminal command found below.

Show User Library Directory in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion & 10.8 Mountain Lion

You might want to bookmark the command. I had to use it again after I installed 10.8.2. I have also been informed that if you drag the user library to Finder it will remain visible.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2013 11:39 AM in response to AppleAustin

Do a backup.

Take notes of all account information or take screen shots. You may need to set the accounts up again. Quit Mail.

Copy the line below.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Select Go/Go To Folder from the Finder menu bar. Paste the line into the window. You won’t see it.

Move the folder com.apple.mail to your desktop. You must move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Relaunch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, recreate any required Mail settings and import any emails you want to save from the folder on the desktop. If the problem remains, return the folder to where you got it replacing the one that is there.

Information learned from Linc Davis.

If you prefer to make your user library permanently visible, use the Terminal command found below.

Show User Library Directory in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion & 10.8 Mountain Lion

You might want to bookmark the command. I had to use it again after I installed 10.8.2. I have also been informed that if you drag the user library to Finder it will remain visible.

Mac Mail Perpetual Hang

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.