Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a NAS in Mac OS X

I'm having real trouble in connecting to my QNAP NAS 2190P, over a wireless network, under Mac OS X. I previously used Windows, and mapping to the network drives was extremely straightforward under Windows. I cannot seem to be able to set up a permanent connection to the drives on the NAS on the Mac. If I manage to log in to the drive, when I restart the system the connection is lost and I have to manually reconnect, by using the Go > Connect to Server menu pathway. There are sometimes multiple options listed under Shared in the Finder, but not all will allow a connection. As I'm new to the Mac (or at least, I have not used a Mac for some years), I am finding this a very unexpected frustration. I would appreciate the assistance of anyone with a similar setup.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 11:55 AM

Once you've authenticated/connected to a shared volume, you can drag it from the Desktop to your Login Items list to have it automatically reconnect on login. Open System Preferences - Users and Groups - click on your user and click Login Items. You'll want to make sure you save any password in the keychain when you first connect.

Matt

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2013 11:55 AM in response to Keith Wilson

Once you've authenticated/connected to a shared volume, you can drag it from the Desktop to your Login Items list to have it automatically reconnect on login. Open System Preferences - Users and Groups - click on your user and click Login Items. You'll want to make sure you save any password in the keychain when you first connect.

Matt

Aug 22, 2013 12:17 PM in response to Matt Clifton

Your solution worked, Matt, as I have previously indicated. The folders that I want access to now appear under the heading Devices in the Finder.

However, whenever I reboot my machine, the listed 'devices' (i.e., the volumes I have now successfully mounted) now open in windows, displaying the contents of the volumes. This, I do not want; what I'd like is to have the devices listed in the Finder (as I do now) but only to have them available to open when I choose to do so, and not by default. Can anyone direct me to the necessary setting for this?

Sorry if these are real 'newbie' questions, but I'm not sure where else I can get answers to this type of information other than on this forum.

Many thanks.

Keith Wilson

Aug 22, 2013 2:02 PM in response to Keith Wilson

Actually, spoke too soon. I went to System Prefs>Users & Groups>Login Items, and selected the two volumes that I have mounted under Devices in Finder, to Hide these. However, the issue persists, in that these volumes still insist on opening to reveal the folders upon rebooting the computer. So, either ticked or unticked, the mapped devices automatically open to reveal their contents, which I don't want.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Aug 24, 2013 4:16 AM in response to Keith Wilson

I know I should not Bump this post which I started, but I'm sure there's a simple solution; I just can't find it.

I now have my QNAP 219P NAS connected to the Mac. However, although I mounted two volumes from the NAS, only one of these appears in the sidebar window. Also, depsite only one of them appearing in the sidebar window, both volumes persist in opening in windows automatically, despite my having set up Users & Groups>Login Items to hide the two volumes. I'm thinking maybe that this may not be the correct place from actually having them opn at login, as all it's telling the Finder to do is Hide them rather than telling the computer not to open them at login/bootup. Anyway, I've been pointed in the right direction by Matt, but I'm still not where I was under Windows 7, with the volumes mapped, and available to access when I chose.

Any help over this final hurdle appreciated.

Aug 24, 2013 7:08 AM in response to Keith Wilson

Hi again Keith

Sorry that didn't work for you - just tested it myself, same results as you.

I found this possibility, though - haven't tried it yet myself. You can attach the mounts via Automator/Applescript, and this may prevent Finder opening windows on login:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/18522/mounting-shares-with-login-items- at-login-finder-windows-popup

Obviously you'd have to amend the connection string for SMB/NFS if appropriate.

Be curious to know if it works for you.

Matt

Aug 31, 2013 2:32 AM in response to Matt Clifton

No luck with this either, but thanks for all your help, Matt.

I moved to the Mac from Windows 8, because the touch screen interface on a desktop machine seems misguided, and I am enjoying many aspects of the Mac interface, especially the way in which the trackpad interfaces with the OS; much better than a touch screen, in my opinion. However, I can't really believe that "the world's most advanced operating system" cannot map to a network drive more readily.

In Windows, I map to the network drive that I want to have available on a permanent basis through an exceptionally straightforward process, and it stays rock solid, only requiring to be remapped if I have to reboot the NAS or if I update the firmware of the NAS. The folders I want are one click away, and they open instantaneously. On the Mac, there is no easy equivalent; I have to manually reconnect to the NAS each time, through the finder, and then open the 'drives' I want to access after I have waited for the connection to be made. It is such a cack-handed approach, and it seems to cause a lot of people a lot of problems, judging by the huge number of posts devoted to the issue on many sites. Not only that, but I find that manually connecting to the NAS takes quite a lot of searching by the Mac for the NAS. There is no issue with the wireless signal, as I can access the web with no issues; it's just connecting to the QNAP NAS that's the issue.

Questions:

Why is mapping to a network drive such a problem on the Mac?

Is it the QNAP NAS which is the issue, rather that an inherent deficiency in Mac OS X? Can any other NAS setup provide a more intuitive and straightforward setup? Synology has been mentioned as more Mac-friendly.

Thanks for any help, as this is a frustration that I'm not sure I can continue to suffer.

Jul 14, 2014 8:44 AM in response to Matt Clifton

Matt, can you also help me regarding the shares of a NAS. I did usual Go to Server, SMB:// with IP and then was asked to login. Although the NAS has several folders to be shared, each with different user/pass. Now that I used one to access the IP, it will only let me login to that share and i can't get to the other folders now. ALSO tried "browse" to the named NAS and tried "Connect As" but still won't let me use the other user/pass for other folders.

Any advise would be grateful! Thanks

Connecting a NAS in Mac OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.