Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a .mov file that is 59 gigs. Is there a converter that can reduce the file size with minor resolution loss so I can import it into final cut express?

I have a .mov file that is 59 gigs. Is there a converter that can reduce the file size with minor resolution loss so I can import it into final cut express?

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Final Cut Express vers. 4

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 4:20 PM

It isn't the file size that is the issue with FCE but the codec (format). The program only works with DV or AIC Quicktime files.

If the project is H.264 or some other non- I frame format, you must convert it first. In most cases, the file will be larger as DV and AIC are not inter-frame compressed.

If you are running out of hard drive space, get another (external) hard drive to use as media drive.

Best,

x

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2013 4:20 PM in response to wbmcquilla

It isn't the file size that is the issue with FCE but the codec (format). The program only works with DV or AIC Quicktime files.

If the project is H.264 or some other non- I frame format, you must convert it first. In most cases, the file will be larger as DV and AIC are not inter-frame compressed.

If you are running out of hard drive space, get another (external) hard drive to use as media drive.

Best,

x

Aug 21, 2013 9:59 AM in response to wbmcquilla

Open the file in QuickTime Player. Then do Tools > Show Movie Inspector. What does it say for Format and FPS?

At 59GB, I suspect you have either a 4 hour DV video or a 1+ hour video that was converted to Apple Intermediate Codec. If it's either of those, you can import it directly into FCE provided you select the appropriate Easy Setup first. Your clips have to match the properties of the Easy Setup you are using.

If it's neither DV or AIC then you need to convert it to one of those codecs. (QuickTime/DV or QuickTime/AIC) Many people in this forum rely on MPEG Streamclip (it's free and works great).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.