Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Generating dates for video files once transferred from iPhoto

I have thousands of video clips that I transfer out of iPhoto/Aperture to a portable hard drive.

Some of the video files have successfully transferred with the date in the file name (my preferred approach via a batch change) whereas many don't have the date as the file name but the date can be identified via Date Created in Finder for my portable hard drive.

I want all the video files to have the date as the file name as I find this easier to manage.

Is there any way I can easily change the file names to the date in Finder for my portable hard drive?

I think not. So the alternative is to reimport the undated video file names back into IPhoto/Aperture, do a batch change to make the file name the date, and then export again to my portable hard drive.

If I do that, will I lose any quality in the video files va the transfer back and forth process?

Thank you

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 2:15 PM

8 replies

Aug 24, 2013 3:16 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

Notice the underlined bit?

In the File Export tab you have a number of options.

Kind. Your options are Original, Current, Jpeg, Tiff and PNG.

This option allows you to select the format of the exported file, and the choice you make here has consequences.

Original is exactly that. The file you imported from your camera, no changes or edits, no added faces, places etc. Just the Original. If you're exporting Raw or a Movie you use this option.

Generating dates for video files once transferred from iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.