Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone 4s doesn't recognize the home wifi

Hello,

I bought a new iPhone 4s 3 months ago and updated the software. last night, when i got home, it did not connect automatically to my home wi-fi, as it always does. instead it showed a small circle in the screen where thw wifi wave signal was before( it is working on 3g). the problem is it doesn't show the home wifi in the list of available networks. I tried switching on and off the wifi and suddenly it went inactive( gray and didn't turn on anymore). I switched off the phone and when i tried in the morning the button was working again and it connected to the home wifi. when I unlocked the sim card, it showed the small circle again and doesn't show the home wifi anymore and it just says not connected. I tried searching the name of my home wifi but it can't find it. my other iphone 4s with the same iOS upgrade works perfectly and connects to the home wifi automatically( no problem at all). my two iPhones are working with the same telecommunication network, and until last night they both connected perfectly.

could you please tell me how to fix this?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 3:41 PM

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

12 replies

Aug 20, 2013 9:05 PM in response to Deni1680

Try resetting the device by pressing the home screen button at the same time as the sleep wake button fro 10-15 seconds until the silver apple shows on the screen, ur device will power down, if it doesnt come on by itself,manually power it up. If that doesnt work, go to settings>general and scroll down till u see reset, click on reset and reset network settings

Aug 21, 2013 6:13 AM in response to Alesoreus Primus

Thank You for your answer. as I mentioned in my original post, I already turned off the phone all night and turned it on again in the morning. and i also reset the network settings. after these steps, it only succeded in turning the wi-fi button acticve again( before it was gray and inactive and I couldn't turn it on). after resettin the network stettings and turning on and off, still it doesn't recognize the home wi-fi( it doesn't show in the network list, so I cannot connect) My home wi-fi works perfectly for my other iPhone 4s, and i have same network phone numbers on both of them.also my computer has no propblem detecting and connecting to my home wi-fi.

Oct 1, 2013 5:12 PM in response to Deni1680

Could try this

This worked for me - after trying everything else!

I wish I had of tried it first!

One of the most common complaints we are hearing from users is that they have been unable to access wi-fi and Bluetooth after installing iOS7.

Here is something you can try:

- Change the name of your device

The new operating system seems to have an issue with apostrophes. At least when it comes to wi-fi.

Check out your device name. If it is called something like “Claire’s iPhone” it could be the apostrophe that is causing the problem.

To change your device name go to Settings > General > About > Name. Tap on the name to edit it and remove the apostrophe. Save the change. Switch off your phone and then switch it back on again.

Your wi-fi should be working (could be working)

Jan 9, 2014 11:54 AM in response to Deni1680

I had the problem that I could connect to wifi (could see all the bars) but couldn't access the Internet. Same wifi worked fine for my laptop. Did all the resets on the phone, but nothing worked. Finally unplugged and plugged in the modem and it worked.

Turns out every device will speak to the modem differently. These two were obviously giving each other the silent treatment.

Mar 6, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Rtk11343

I had an interesting one tonight, well worth sharing

iphone 4S running iOS 8.1.3

it see's the neighbours wifi, but not our home wifi, I know the wifi is running as all the other devices are using it (macbook / Air / iPhone 5 / iPhone 5S / kindle fire)

i tried forgetting the networks on the device, and all that - nothing worked.

Eventually i went into the router (BT home broadband) and checked the advanced settings in the wifi section, the wifi on the router was set to channel 13, so i set it to automatically use select a channel (smart wireless)

the iPhone now see's and connects to the BT Broadband

Sep 14, 2015 7:27 PM in response to Deni1680

I know this is an old post but I had the same problem for a while and I finally found the solution.

Problems started after I replaced my router. My girlfriend's IPad and my old iPhones 4 and 4s would sometimes stop seeing our home wifi. My Samsung Galaxy Pro tablet and Samsung Galaxy S5 were still able to see the wifi network. The only solution was to reboot the router and, after that, it worked fine for a while.

I realized that my router was able to broadcast a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz signal. I had configured the router with the same SSID name for both signals. I guess that when the iPhone / iPad saw the 5GHz signal first, it "blocked" it from the list of available network.

Solution : I used different SSID names for the 2.4 and 5 GHz signals. My Samsungs phone and tablet can see both but the old iPhone 4 / 4s and iPad mini can only see the 2.4 SSID. Seems to work fine ever since.

my iphone 4s doesn't recognize the home wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.