Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

won't run on windows 8.1

I am running Windows 8.1 preview and Itunes work perfectly until it updated two days ago. When I first open it will work as long as I don't try to go to the iTunes store. When I do it crashes and then it won't work at all until I reboot my PC.

Any question on what I can do? Loading an older version of iTunes doesn't work as it says the Library was created by a newer version and can't be read.

Please help I don't want to refresh and reload all my other programs.

Windows 8, iTunes running on Windows 8.1 Previ

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 5:40 PM

12 replies

Aug 23, 2013 6:32 AM in response to tamsiemm

Hi tamsiemm,

If you are having issues with iTunes crashing, you may want to try the troubleshooting outlined in the following article. Note, however, that it may be hard to predict software behavior with beta/preview releases of software such as Windows 8.1.

iTunes for Windows Vista or Windows 7: Troubleshooting unexpected quits, freezes, or launch issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1717

Regards,

- Brenden

Sep 4, 2013 8:21 PM in response to tamsiemm

Windows 8.1 Preview (Build 9431 here) has an issue with iTunes when clicking on the iTunes Store or iTunes Match. Either one crashes ("iTunes has stopped working") the app. All other functions of iTunes are fine. I did the Java and Flash updates as per another forum but they didn't help. I'm sure Apple is in no hurry to fix this but there are some of us that are hardcore Mac/iOS users who happen to have a Windows machine that we'd like to work too. The other response is unhelpful.

Sep 11, 2013 8:25 PM in response to Benjamin T. Romeo

UPDATE: For fun I uninstalled iTunes and installed iTunes 10 - everything works fine under 10 so it's an issue with 11. Specifically 11 and Win8/Win8.1. I found some solutions that worked for the iTunes 11/Win7 problems but they don't seem to be relevant here. I was chasing down the path of some of the legacy 32 bit components of iTunes 64 bit for Windows (yes it's not ALL 64 bit) so maybe something there?

Sep 12, 2013 12:44 PM in response to tamsiemm

This also happened when I had the preview for Windows 8 and continued to happen for a short time after 8 was released. I seem to have been able to get around it by killing the APSDaemon.exe process (Apple Push). I have tried it on 8.1 and my iTunes Match is now working. I haven't tested it much, but when I did this for Win 8 I remember renaming the exe because I had to kill it every time I launched iTunes.

And to the guy that was whining about this being beta and you shouldn't be posting on here: if you're not going to be helpful, don't reply.

Hope this helps,

Ehren

won't run on windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.