Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't move messages to trash on iPhone 5

I created a new IMAP email account on my iPhone 5. When I try to delete a message, I get a message saying ?Unable to Move Message. The message could not be moved to the mailbox Trash."

I've had an IMAP account on this phone from a previous hosting service, no problem to delete messages. I have no problem deleting from the same account on my laptop and tower. I'm wondering what the issue might be.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 7:00 PM

go to settings/mail etc, tap on your mail account, do you have archive set to off? tap on the > to the right of your email address then on the next screen tap on advanced and check the first two settings there

17 replies

Aug 20, 2013 7:12 PM in response to Ocean20

When I go to Settings>Mail>Account Name, I see a page that says IMAP at the top,then the account name below that. Below that, is Mail, and Notes, both are On. If I tap on the account name under IMAP, it opens another page with incoming and outgoing server info. I don't see where I would find "Archive." Can you point me to where that would be?

Feb 8, 2014 11:47 AM in response to Allen Birnbach

Good day mate,

Recently, I adjust my settings because of the error message.

Here's the guide:

How-to fix this error

1. Press the Home button on your iPhone and choose Settings.

2. Scroll down and click “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” from the list.

3. Click your email account – it should have an arrow to the right of the email address displayed.

4. Scroll to the end on the settings and click Advanced.

5. Scroll down and tap the empty IMAP Path Prefix.

6. Enter INBOX in capitals, then click ‘Accounts’ at the top left and click ‘Done’ at the top right twice to close the settings.

7. Press the Home button and then re-open Mail.

8. You will now be able to delete or move your emails on your iPhone without the error message appearing!

I hope this will help :)

Cheers!

Jun 5, 2014 4:22 PM in response to boyajm

Go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars; tap the Account name from Accounts section; tap on Account line; scroll down to Advanced and tap that. In the Mailbox Behaviors section should look like the figure below on the Deleted Mailbox line if you want to be able to delete them from your phone. If it doesn't, tap on that line which will take you to the option screen. Select the Trash option under the 'On the server" section. Select Done to save the changes. That should do it. Hope that solves your issue. It did for me.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

can't move messages to trash on iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.