Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird Table Wrap Behavior

I tried looking for answers to this but nothing quite fit what I'm seeing in Pages 09.

I'm making documents that use a lot of tables and I'm seeing the tables behave in one way some of the time and another way most of the time. Unfortunately I prefer the some of the time behavior.

I'm using a two column layout in my doc.

When the table gets to the end of the page column and the table is longer than the rest of the space left on the page, there are three behaviors.

1. The remaining table dissapears. This is usually when there is only a few rows left of the table or if the table is longer than the length of the page. My rows are normally very short, usually only one 10 pt line tall.

2. The table will jump to the next available column leaving a large white space in the document. White space is good, but you can have too much of a good thing. This is leaving too many big holes in the document.

3. The table will very nicely split with the top part of the table in the origenal column and the bottom half in the next column. This is what I'd prefer it to do.

My tables are inline. The rows are not taller than the hight of the column. In fact they are very often copied from each other which makes this all the more bizzare. I'll copy a table and paste it where the next table will go and it will occasionally behave differently than the last table. I've studied every possible check box in inspector selecting one table and then the other tabbing through all the settings, even ones that wouldn't make sense just trying to see any difference, I see none.

Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Intel IMac, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 6:37 AM

10 replies

Aug 21, 2013 6:54 AM in response to Castle1914

Castle,

Table rows will not split across a page or column end boundary. Instead, the entire row that is too tall to fit on the current page or column will jump to the next page or column. It's your greater volumn of text in a cell, making the row taller, that causes the jump at the bottom of the page or column.

There may be a better way than Tables to emphasize the text in the table, such as widening the margins, rather than using tables.

Jerry

Aug 21, 2013 7:24 AM in response to Castle1914

To clarify things, here are some pictures.

User uploaded file

This is the table leaving a lot of white space.

User uploaded file

Here is a table wrapping to the next column like a good little table. (Actually in this case I'm okay with it not wrapping.)

Edit: I'm going to have to do a little work to try and get the hidden end behavior to happen again since I worked those out of the doc.

Weird Table Wrap Behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.