Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failsafe method to create NetInstall image of pre-configured MacOSX

Hi All

I am trying to create NetInstall image of a pre-configured MacOSX install(mid-2011 mac mini) in this case. Here is my workflow:

1. Setup base OSX Mountain lion

2. Do all updates and configure System Preferences and Finder Preferences as desired

3. Install all desired software to be packaged with the system

4. Boot into target mode and then use a second mac mini running Casper Composer to create a .dmg of the OS.

5. Copy the finished .dmg to ML Server

6. Try to use System Image utility to create a NetInstall image that other mac minis can then use as base install

I havent had any success so far creating a valid .nbi folder I can use(and that works) for re-deployment unless I use Casper Admin and Casper Imaging to manage this. The reason I am trying to get away from using them is that the differnece between buying a $70 Casper Composer(or using the free Disk Utility) and buying the full Casper Suite is considerable. Also, my understanding of System Image Utility is that:

1. It should be possible to build a customised image of OSX from base with packages and coonfiguration added but it doesnt seem to work

2. NetInstall is the only viable option for what we want to do as NetBoot presumes you will boot off the image each time you start up(which is not what we want - we want the ability to clone systems and from bare metal if necessary) and NetRestore flatly doesnt seem to work from .dmgs.

Here is what I have found:

a) I can create NetInstall images from a mounted downloaded Apple-provided OSX Installer that work but as soon as I put customisations in them, the customisations fail.

b) By default NetInstall is greyed out when you mount the dmg and use it as a source in System image utility. Suggestions online are to change the Source to use a New variable and then point it back at the same location. NetInstall is then available. If you try to create a .nbi from this, you get an error saying that there isnt enough space on the target drive - the uncompressed dmg is about 7GB max and there is a spare 60-70Gb free on the drive I am trying to create the image on.

c) I have tried manually creating the .nbi folder but the instructions I found at http://support.apple.com/kb/TA21133 for doing this are outdated as they apply to ppc firmware and although I suspect the technique will still work, I cant work out which elements of the i386 folder I need to retain/move. Copying the i386 folder from another working Netinstall folder doesnt help.

d) I found some links suggesting that NetInstall only worked when the OSX versions were identical so I tried to run the System Image Utility on the Mac where the dmg was created. Here I get two errors:

i) If I just run the NetInstall using the default source, it errors saying an unknown error has occurred and get the following in the log:
Workflow Started (2013-08-21 11:39:45 +0100)

OS X 10.8.4 (12E55), System Image Utility 10.8.3 (624)

Starting action: Define Image Source (1.4)

Finished running action: Define Image Source

Starting action: Create Image (1.7.2)

Starting image creation process...

Create NetInstall Image

Failed to validate the install type!!! Error: The source volume is not an OS X 10.8 volume.

An unknown error has occurred.

Image creation process finished...

Stopping image creation.

Image creation failed.

ii) If I change the source to the .dmg file and unmount it quickly to avoid any file locks, the installer goes further and seems to almost finish but then gives the following error(just appending the final bits):

+ echo 'Detaching disk image'

Detaching disk image

+ '[' DEBUG == DEBUG ']'

+ /usr/sbin/lsof +fg /tmp/mnt.UJaQAiTy

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE FILE-FLAG DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME

mds 36 root 24r DIR R,EVO 1,5 306 2 /private/tmp/mnt.UJaQAiTy

+ '[' '/dev/disk1s2 on /private/tmp/mnt.UJaQAiTy (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, nobrowse)' '!=' '' ']'

+ /usr/bin/hdiutil detach /tmp/mnt.UJaQAiTy

"disk1" unmounted.

"disk1" ejected.

+ /bin/rmdir /tmp/mnt.UJaQAiTy

+ return 0

+ '[' '' '!=' '' ']'

+ /bin/rm -r '/Users/admin/Documents/NetBoot of Untitled 1.nbi/i386'

+ /bin/rm '/Users/admin/Documents/NetBoot of Untitled 1.nbi/NetInstall.dmg'

+ /bin/rm '/Users/admin/Documents/NetBoot of Untitled 1.nbi/System.dmg'

+ /bin/rmdir '/Users/admin/Documents/NetBoot of Untitled 1.nbi'

+ exit 1

Script is done.

Bridge exited with status 256

Failed to create image from restore source.

Image creation process finished...

Stopping image creation.

Image creation failed.

Anyone have any idea how I can get around these issues?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 4:00 AM

17 replies

Aug 23, 2013 5:52 AM in response to piperspace

Actually, it doesnt really make any difference to the System Image Utility options if you just create the image directly from the pre-configured mac disk. Netinstall is still greyed-out and though you can do the same trick with the New Variable option, the installer complains about the source disk just the same. I have tried a Netrestore option as a different option but I fear this wont solve the problem.

My guess is that the functionality I mention should work(because it works fine if you use CasperSuite - Casper Admin and Casper Imaging) albeit through their interface, I cant imagine they've re-invented this but just use the same technology.

Aug 23, 2013 7:07 AM in response to robdevereux

The first part of your step 4 is "boot into target mode" with your model. At that point use your second mac mini to just create a netrestore image with SIU. (Not sure why you would go through caspar). Then copy the NBI folder it creates to your server. The second mac mini needs to be running ML also. If it isn't you could create it using the server.

Aug 23, 2013 8:25 AM in response to robdevereux

Netinstall being greyed out is typically because your SIU is up level from your source volume. It's Apple's user friendly way of telling you it can't see any valid input volumes. :-)

Most people mount the model in target mode or use an external USB disk. I have not heard of anyone using a dmg or DVD.

We have had good luck using NetRestore for Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion. Except we've never seen System Preferences work as advertised. We have not built an image with Mountain Lion. We build the image from source OS media plus packaged versions of our applications.

With NetRestore there is a new wrinkle - You have to download a fresh OS install App from the Apple Store. SIU accepts that App as input. If you use a base version of the OS plus combo updates SIU works but your install will fail.

Aug 26, 2013 11:12 AM in response to robdevereux

First, let's define the various image types...

NetInstall:

A network based image which, when booted into, presents the user with a Mac OS installer. Functionality is effectively the same as running the Install Mac OS X application locally on a machine.

NetRestore:

A network based image which, when booted into, uses Apple Software Restore to replace the contents of a volume with a previously imaged volume.

NetBoot:

A network based image which, when booted into, acts just like a locally booted hard drive, except no changes are written to the disk. Each time the client boots into the NetBoot volume, the system is "reset" to the original state.

As defined by your workflow, you are trying to create NetRestore images.

As piperspace has noted, you need to start with the latest OS Install application. Starting with an older OS which has been updated to the latest will not work.

Creating NetRestore images from other disk images doesn't work because you need to have the Recovery Partition available. As both chicster and piperspace have noted, the way to do this is to image the volume directly.

Many preferences are "ByHost", which means that they are keyed to the UUID of the machine they are set on. To make those settings transfer to the new machines, you may need to use the "Apply System Configuration Settings" action and check the "Change ByHost preferences to match..." option.

Aug 27, 2013 4:14 AM in response to Brian Nesse

Hi Brian

Thanks for your full answer. I do realise all of this, but it is good to have it reiterated from someone in the field.

What I actually want to do is Netinstalls, but I have read somewhere that Apple may not support this without an OSX installer; I dont know this for sure but I cant force SIU to create NetInstalls by default so it stands to reason. It would be fine, however, to use the default SIU setup except that none of the default SIU customisation functionality - adding packages, performing AD binds, running scripts - works properly and gets ignored on install. This is irrespective of running SIU on the imaging system with the compiled image machine attached in target mode. For info, for you all, NetInstall is still greyed-out. NetRestore is allowed but doesnt work.

Netrestores would also be acceptable but I have just not managed to get any of these to work. The systems will not boot from them at all; effectively after telling the mac mini traget system to restart using the Netrestore image as the source, it hangs for a while and then fails and boots to the original OS. This was why I was looking to do Netinstalls because that looked to be the closest to the functionality I want. At the end of the day, I would settle for any network-based solution that would function and doesnt cost me anything extra. Casper Suite is currently the only thing that has managed any Network-based installs but costs lots. I have tested all of the images I have created locally ie dmgs and those all work fine, so I am convinced this isnt the workflow I have.

Aug 27, 2013 6:11 AM in response to robdevereux

just to cover all the bases, when enabling the image on the server, I noticed with ML netrestore images there is the option of http or i-can't-remember-the-other-one and for some reason the ML ones default to http even though the other one is what you probably want. I seem to remember I discovered this when it behaved pretty much as you describe.

Aug 27, 2013 6:20 AM in response to piperspace

...Netinstall being greyed out is typically because your SIU is up level from your source volume. It's Apple's user friendly way of telling you it can't see any valid input volumes. :-)

Can you let me know what you mean by this-specifically the up level bit? I am aware that there are issues if you have a different OS version building the image from the one where it was created but this isnt the case in this instance. It is an image made from a native OSX install(but just one that has been tweaked a bit(and not the actual ESDInstall.dmg that comes with OSX)). I can only imagine Apple might have built-in some copy protect or licence rights management into SIU to stop people copying OSX disk-to-disk without paying for it(not that this seems to be the case with their downloaders, so not sure really).

Aug 27, 2013 8:12 AM in response to robdevereux

You are correct that you can't do a NetInstall without a Mac OS X install application. The OS Installer (what you are booting into) has no idea how to do an installation without installing the OS.

Although NFS is still supported, Server no longer has a panel to configure it. As such, the default protocol for image creation was changed to HTTP. Both still work. It's up to you to choose whichever one works for you.

Aug 27, 2013 10:36 AM in response to robdevereux

Hi Rob,

I meant that many folks in the past (incuding me) have gotten the latest copy of SIU and then been mystified when it refused to see an input volume that had worked in the past.

It sounds like that is not your problem.

However, Brian and this reference http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5599 seem to be telling us that NetInstall now ONLY works using a OS installer downloaded from the Apple Store.

Same general point - if an option in SIU is greyed out - don't go there. :-)

We use NetRestore for student lab computers. We have the luxury of wiping the disk and installing a clean copy of the OS from media and packaged Apps. We are not doing OS upgrades where data must be preserved. Our user data all lives on a networked file server. We manage preferences with WorkGroup Manager on a Mac Server. We only have one local administrative account on our client Macs. We do not use System Configuration settings at all. We use a custom script to assign unique names and bind each Mac. It runs unattended.

At present we do not use NetInstall. We might use it in future for staff accounts where we need to do an OS upgrade in place.

Hope this helps,

-piper

Failsafe method to create NetInstall image of pre-configured MacOSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.