Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unusual high CPU load with Mainstage 3

Hello all,

I have used Mainstage 2 before without any problems and just tried out Mainstage 3.

However the CPU load is unusually high, with the Activity Monitor showing CPU usage of >100%. I started with the minimal keyboard template, even tried to delete everything except the Keyboard, Pitch/Mod-Wheel and Pedal controls, and the EVP88 as the only software instrument. The corresponding movement of the keys on screen lags about 500ms behind the actual keyboard press, however the sound seems to be generated without noticable latency. Navigating around Mainstage is extremely laggy.

Interestingly, the CPU and memory monitor in the Mainstage Toolbar displays a very low usage (1-2 bars). Of course the Mac Book heats and system fans kick in quickly. No problem with Mainstage 2, it still works and uses less than 50% CPU even with very complex setups.

I'm using a 13-inch MacBook Pro (Mid 2009), the 2,53GHz model with discrete NVIDIA graphics and 8GB RAM on Mountain Lion 10.8.4. I am using the MacBook in Clamshell mode with an external display, a USB Midi Controller as well as an USB Audio Interface. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Should I report a bug or give more information / system logs?

MainStage, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Mac Book Pro

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 4:59 AM

11 replies

Aug 30, 2013 10:07 PM in response to kkrepp

I have the same problem, Mainstage 3.0.1 turns my 15 in 2.66 duo core mid 2009 MacBook Pro into a furnace ( the fans have never ran this high) Running Mainstage 3 scares me!!! with frequent overload warnings and stuttering with the output voice. Also, running OSX 10.8.4. which runs much hotter than Snow Leopard...This update does not give me the option to show battery life in term of hours, and of course 10..8.4 drains my battery in less than an hour????

So yes. for the first time, since buying this computer I am here searching for answers, Mainstage 3.0.1 is not usable as is for live performance on my computor and looks like others have the same problem!!

Please Apple, rest not upon your laurels!

An update to fix these bugs in Mountain LIon and Mainstage is eargerly anticipated!

Sep 2, 2013 8:46 PM in response to kkrepp

My experience has been that running Mainstage on my Macbook Air 11 (2ghz i7/8gb ram/Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB) with an external monitor makes Mainstage unusable. A concert that runs at ~40-50% CPU on the laptop screen peaks at over 110-120%+ with my 27" Thunderbolt display.

It makes it a drag editing programs, while holding a guitar, looking at an 11" screen when a 27" is sitting next to the laptop unusable.

The MBAir 11 works great on gigs with Mainstage and no external monitor though. It makes for a light, but a bit delicate (as with any laptop), setup.

For a program that's supposed to "just work" Mainstage has a very deep, and sometimes very obtuse, learning curve. And I've used Logic for 20 years now.

Unusual high CPU load with Mainstage 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.