Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open my library anymore with my iPhoto version.

Hello, some weeks ago I shared my MacBook's harddisk on my home network to move some files to a MacBook Pro. I am using OSX 10.6.8 while the MacBook Pro was using OSX 10.7.2 and obviously the two iPhoto versions are different (mine is iPhoto '11 v.9.2.3).

I tried to open my iPhoto library using that MacBook Pro but I did not any modification. When I finished moving the files I noticed that my iPhoto was not able to open my library anymore.

The answer, as you can see on the attacchment, is: "You can't open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto. You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto.".

User uploaded file

I have already tried to use cmd+alt while opening iPhoto and I did "rebuild database from automatic backup" but I noticed that the result wasn't so good: some rotated photos had a strange shape. So, I used Time Machine to revert back to my last backup of the library.

Do you think that "iPhoto Library Manager" (http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/) can be useful to solve my problem? Otherwise, since I did not any modification to my library using the newer version of iPhoto, is there any way (or file to edit) to change the "higher library version" to mine iPhoto version?

(I can't upgrade to a newer once since 9.2.3 is the last one for Snow Leopard).

Thanks,

Emanuele

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 8:29 AM

If you opened the Library then the library was modified to the new format.

There is a method for reverting versions detailed on the Library Manager site that folks have had success with.

http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/Help/downgrading%20a%20library%20to%20an%20ea rlier%20version%20of%20iphoto.html

8 replies

Aug 21, 2013 8:31 AM in response to P|xeL

IPLM can rebuild your library to the older version - directions are on their web site

Or you can restore yoru backujp from before you agreed to convert the library to a newer version

And note that it is critical to read warnings before accepting them - when you opened yor library with the newer version you were told that it would be converted and could no longer be used with older versions - you said to continue so that happened exactly as you werer told it would

LN

Aug 21, 2013 8:37 AM in response to P|xeL

The only "easier" way to undo your mistake is to restore your backup for before you made the mistake - that is why you always must have a good backup - people, computers and software make mistakes and a backup is the solution to all of there including yours

Once again you can either restore yoru backup or use IPLM to "downgrade" you library - as fully described in the support material this will keep all things that can be shared - so projects are not kept

LN

Can't open my library anymore with my iPhoto version.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.