Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

confusion re: photostream, import from memory card, events, etc.

Up until a few weeks ago, my travel-photo-handling went like this:

Each night, I download photos to my iPad for safekeeping. They, of course, wind up in Photostream.

When I return home, I connect my camera card to my iMac (where I have my iPhoto library), and I can "see" the photos on my memory card - the photos which, although in Photostream, I have not yet manually downloaded.

I select and ownload them.

New Events are created in my Library automatically, as I have my preference set to Autosplit Events.

This week, I came home from a trip during which I had downloaded to iPad during my time away.

I connected my memory card to the iMac.

iPhoto did not "see" any photos to import - as far as iPhoto was concerned, those photos were already in my Library.

I had iPhoto show all photos on my card, selected the photos from my trip (I shot over 1000) and clicked "Import Selected"

iPhoto says they're duplicates.

However, the photos have NOT been downloaded manually and there are NO Events in my Library for those days.

Note: yeah, they're in Photostream, but IN THE PAST - and I mean literally up until 3 weeks ago - the photos have ALWAYS been "visible" and importable even if in Photostream, as long as I had not yet manually downloaded to the computer.

So my question, I guess, is multi-part:

What changed in iPhoto and/or Photostream in the past couple of weeks?

Why are Photostream photos suddenly considered to be the same as the photos on my card which have not yet been manually downloaded to the computer?

What the heck is going on?

I hate having duplicates, but I also hate being confused by something that used to be really easy, then - with Photosream - became annoying, and is now simply perplexing and sometimes imcomprehendable.

iPhoto '11

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 7:49 AM

1 reply

Aug 21, 2013 8:54 AM in response to PatsyKB51

Check iPhoto's Photo Stream preference pane to see if the highlighted checkbox in the screenshot below is checked. If it is then all photos taken by the iPad are automatifdally being imported into your library.

User uploaded file

Go the the Events mode and check the View ➙ Sort menu option to verify where new Evens will be located, at the top of the window or the bottom. Then check to see if your PS pictures are there.

As a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Connect your iPad and import all photos. Dismount the iPad, close and reopen the test library, connect the iPad again and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

If it does'nt then your current library is damaged and needs to be repaired.

OT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.