Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9

I can change the aspect ratio in iMovie from 4:3 to 16:9 why can't i do the same in FCPX????

I orinigaly imported my project from iMovie into FCPX as standard...but now I would like to have my project in 16:9. How can I make the switch?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 10:10 AM

8 replies

Aug 21, 2013 12:06 PM in response to Dushi4U

Is your media 4:3? What you do you want to do with it? Scale it up so it fills the frame and cuts the top and bottom? Or do you want to distort it to make it 16:9? You can do that in the inspector. If the former set spatial conform to fill. If the latter use the distort function in the transform section or the distort function in the lower left of the viewer.

Jul 11, 2014 7:07 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

That anamorphic override is great when it works, but I've got some .MOD files from I think a Panasonic camera and even though "Anamorphic Override" is checked in metadata views, it goes away from the inspector any time I click on one of the clips from that camera. I read somewhere that Anamorphic Override only works on SD media but these are MPEG2 files, frame size is reported as 704x480.

I guess I could fix it in MPEG Streamclip, but I'd rather not have to.

Changing Aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.