Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost content on /usr/bin/ and .bash_profile

I've installed the update and it seems to have reset my .bash_profile.

It also seems to have removed some programs I had installed under /usr/bin like Git and Macports among others.

This is a big let down for me, coming from Apple.

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 10:06 AM

6 replies

Aug 21, 2013 1:23 PM in response to mikacf

It also seems to have removed some programs I had installed under /usr/bin like Git and Macports among others.

This is a big let down for me, coming from Apple.

Posix standards have nothing to do with Apple. /usr/bin/ is reserved for binary files delivered from the distribution. /usr/local/bin is available for administrators to add binary files which will not be touched by an update. If you wish to install in /usr/bin then it is YOUR responsibility to maintain the added binaries. MacPorts normally installs in the opt/local/ directory did you customize your installation?

Aug 21, 2013 1:24 PM in response to baltwo

I installed the Mac OS X update from the mac App Store yesterday. As I could not find any additional information through the App Store I assumed it was the latest update I could find here (v10.8.4).

I too found it wierd to have messed with this kind of stuff but it happened right after this update, so that's the conclusion I could come to.

Aug 22, 2013 7:51 AM in response to Mark Jalbert

Posix standards have nothing to do with Apple. /usr/bin/ is reserved for binary files delivered from the distribution. /usr/local/bin is available for administrators to add binary files which will not be touched by an update. If you wish to install in /usr/bin then it is YOUR responsibility to maintain the added binaries. MacPorts normally installs in the opt/local/ directory did you customize your installation?

For some reason /opt/local/bin was removed from my PATH. But yes, MacPorts was actually still installed in that folder.

I installed Git through the Command Line Tools installation from Xcode, so I didn't choose anything.

Nevertheless, I did not expect any update to remove anything I've installed on my system nor mess with my home folder without first warning me about it .

Aug 22, 2013 9:06 AM in response to mikacf

Ok, you have a legitimate issue with the removal of git from /usr/bin/. Any file in /private/etc/ is "fair game" and may be replaced by the distribution's default file with any update. Usually, the file replaced is saved as file.conf.~old without any feedback. If you need any help fixing your PATH variable then post back here and someone will help you.

Lost content on /usr/bin/ and .bash_profile

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.