Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import music to iTunes

Having had to re-install Mountain Lion I now wish to import all the saved music which is on a separate hard drive to my iTunes. I thought that all I had to do was open itunes and then drag a music folder into it and there it would be. When I pick up a folder to try dropping it nothing happens. Clearly this is or should be a very simple operation which is defeating my aging brain. Please help Thanks

IMac2.7, Mac OS X (10.6), Snow Leopard

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 10:04 AM

13 replies

Aug 21, 2013 3:41 PM in response to DerekBradley

Your post indicates you're using an old version of OS X. If you're also using an old version of iTunes (older than 11.0.5), I'm not sure this will work.

But if you're current, this is from iTunes' help:

Import music and video already on your computer

If you have audio or video files on your computer, you can import them into iTunes so they appear in your iTunes library.

HideAdd items from your computer to your iTunes library

Do either of the following:

• Drag a file or folder from the Finder to the iTunes window.If you add a folder, all the files it contains are added to your library.
  • In iTunes, choose File > Add to Library, locate a file or folder, and click Open.

By default, iTunes places a copy of each audio file in the iTunes folder (Home/Music/iTunes) and leaves the original file in the current location. For information about adding an alias to the file (instead of creating a copy), see Change where your iTunes files are stored.

Aug 22, 2013 12:46 AM in response to sberman

Thanks

I have the most uptodate Mountain Lion OS and iTunes 11.0.5 I open iTunes from the dock and then pick up and dry to drop a folder with music in, or even open the folder and just try one piece of music but when I drop it into the open iTunes window nothing happens. I did look at the help and try what you kindly suggested but as I say it didn't work so am I not understanding something.

Aug 22, 2013 10:06 AM in response to sberman

Ok have tried all sorts of things including re downloading iTunes. Have also followed some instructions from the Apple site on Restoring your iTunes Library - all to no availfile://localhost/Users/reginaldbradley/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202013-08-22% 20at%2017.58.18.pngfile://localhost/Users/reginaldbradley/Desktop/Screen%20Shot% 202013-08-22%20at%2017.59.06.png

I don't quite know what I am doing but I took two screen shots as above. One showes the Choose iTunes Library --"choose Library" the second one shows the response "an iTunes Library folder could not be found in Music

Could there be something wrong with my computer? I am trying to get the music into iTunes in order that I can then "hopefully" get into my Sonos system

Thankyou

Aug 22, 2013 12:48 PM in response to Chris CA

Still no go - have dropped the back up file from the external drive and dropped into music, where I can see it but no way will it transfer to iTunes. If I open one of the albums and select a particular tune and try to simply transfer that one file it merely starts playing.

I think that the problems I had with my computer which necessitated me to erase the hard drive and re-install Mountain Lion must be suggesting that there is still something amiss

Thanks

Aug 23, 2013 12:39 AM in response to Chris CA

The back up file is called iTunes back up and contains338 items and is 25.08GB last modified on 24 Jan 2011 and is in a separate hard drive called Freeagent drive. In other words it was created and saved there for just the eventuality that has occured i.e. my computer had quite a few problems and as a result the hard drive was erased and Mountain Lion re-installed, hence my need to get my music back into iTunes. However as I said in my last message I have now done this by other means. I opened the folder and all 338 pieces of music were listed, so I highlighted them and dropped them into iTunes and magically they are now there and are working. Thanks

Import music to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.