Skip navigation

Import music to iTunes

806 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2013 12:39 AM by DerekBradley RSS
DerekBradley Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 21, 2013 10:04 AM

Having had to re-install Mountain Lion I now wish to import all the saved music which is on a separate hard drive to my iTunes.  I thought that all I had to do was open itunes and then drag a music folder into it and there it would be.  When I pick up a folder to try dropping it nothing happens.  Clearly this is or should be a very simple operation which is defeating my aging brain.  Please help  Thanks

IMac2.7, Mac OS X (10.6), Snow Leopard
  • sberman Level 7 Level 7 (23,670 points)
    Aug 21, 2013 3:41 PM (in response to DerekBradley)

Your post indicates you're using an old version of OS X.  If you're also using an old version of iTunes (older than 11.0.5), I'm not sure this will work.

But if you're current, this is from iTunes' help:

Import music and video already on your computer

If you have audio or video files on your computer, you can import them into iTunes so they appear in your iTunes library.

HideAdd items from your computer to your iTunes library

Do either of the following:

• Drag a file or folder from the Finder to the iTunes window.If you add a folder, all the files it contains are added to your library.
    • In iTunes, choose File > Add to Library, locate a file or folder, and click Open.

By default, iTunes places a copy of each audio file in the iTunes folder (Home/Music/iTunes) and leaves the original file in the current location. For information about adding an alias to the file (instead of creating a copy), see Change where your iTunes files are stored.

• Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,330 points)
    Aug 22, 2013 10:23 AM (in response to DerekBradley)

DerekBradley wrote:

I don't quite know what I am doing but I took two screen shots as above.

To post pics in your replies, click the Camera icon at top of the Reply box then select the files on your drive.

Aug 22, 2013 12:19 PM (in response to DerekBradley)

When choosing a library, select the /Music/iTunes/ folder.

Aug 22, 2013 2:47 PM (in response to DerekBradley)

DerekBradley wrote:

Still no go - have dropped the back up file from the external drive and dropped into music

What backup file?

Aug 22, 2013 3:12 PM (in response to DerekBradley)

DerekBradley wrote:

From an external hard drive.

But what is this backup file?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.