Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hd ntfs write from bootcamp windows

I have been using a PC and it recently died on me. I store many files on external drives. Now I am thinking of going to a Mac.

My question is if I use bootcamp and install Windows, can I read and (more importantly) write to my old NTFS external drives.

I understand that NTFS is read only on OSX but since bootcamp is formatting the Windows partition to NTFS, will I be able to read a write to those external drives if I am in Windows using bootcamp.

Thanks.

Mac Pro, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 11:31 AM

4 replies

Aug 21, 2013 11:45 AM in response to David Ng

"Probably" though it depends on the drive case and interface to some extent.

This site is helpful:

Home MacWindows

Discussion area for Boot Camp

https://discussions.apple.com/community/windows_software/boot_camp?view=discussi ons

This is not notebook right? Thunderbollt devices are troublesome still with Boot Camp. And all new Macs in the last 2 yrs EXCEPT the Mac Pro tower (ie 60lb model that this forum deals with and lacks TB)

Aug 21, 2013 11:59 AM in response to The hatter

These drives are all USB since I am coming from a PC. They all have data on it and free space.

I just want to be able to use the drives after I jump to a Mac without having to reformat the drives. If Bootcamp can natively allow me to write to NTFS drive that would be great but I cant seem to find a definitve answer.

I will try and move it to the appropriate forum hopefully for a more definitive answer, thanks.

Aug 21, 2013 12:14 PM in response to David Ng

You want yes or no.

I am giving you that but also other things to consider.

For OS X you can always use them by buying Paragon Software NTFS for Mac OS X which I have used and use $19.

USB2 - never used it for disk drives, newest Macs have USB3 and Mac Pro most people use FireWire or eSATA or just pop a drive in one of the four drive bays to access and use it which will work fine.

For Windows you can migrate your Windows into Boot Camp by going through and buying WinClone.

Use WinClone for Windows

http://www.macwindows.com/Winclone-4_1-can-create-Boot-Camp-installer-package.ht ml

Yes you can use them as is. But why use USB2 when you are talking about a Mac that has drive bays for extra storage??

NTFS drives on USB, when accessed from within Mac OS are iffy and even read-only does not work well.

They should work. I just want to be sure:

You have a Mac Pro tower and not a notebook MacBook Pro (we get tons of such users posting here)

And if you want to use an interface other than the very slow clumbersome USB2.

external hd ntfs write from bootcamp windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.